Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I play the saxophone and harmonium, and wanted a change- how easy would it be to teach myself clarinet, and does anyone have any tips
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to self teach. You know how to read music, etc. and it shouldn't be that difficult to pick up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to self teach. You know how to read music, etc. and it shouldn't be that difficult to pick up.
    any recommendations as to which clarinet to play?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dino MD)
    I play the saxophone and harmonium, and wanted a change- how easy would it be to teach myself clarinet, and does anyone have any tips
    Yeah, 100%. Wind instruments can be a little more difficult to self teach than things like guitar, but it's still easy enough to do. Pick up a relatively cheap start one to begin with, just in case you find later down the line it isn't for you. Music shops will quite often carry the kind that people take to their music lessons for people wanting to learn. A Bb would make sense to learn on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dino MD)
    Embouchure-wise, clarinet is pretty similar to saxophone, and lots of the fingerings are similar. The main problem you will have is that while the register key on saxophone is sensible and turns a low G into a high G (for instance), the register key on clarinet is stupid and turns a low G into a high D. If you have the right personality you won't be too bothered, but some people find it so irritating that they give up. If you're buying a clarinet, get one in Bb. I think Yamaha and Buffet are good brands. If you're grade 7/A-level standard or above on saxophone you probably want a decent wooden clarinet. Otherwise an ABS one is fine. If you don't want to spend too much money, a second-hand Buffet B12 or similar is probably better than a new but crap Chinese thing. If you want to learn classical clarinet, learn your scales and do studies. For jazz, just do whatever you'd do on saxophone. An underrated style of clarinet is klezmer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.