Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After luckily getting a place to study nursing through clearing i find that with 3 days left until i start that i am over whelmed with stress!

1. I have no money yet am supposed to find 300 pounds deposit.
    2. My NHS bursary application which will cover my tuition fees is still being assessed so I'm worrying that that might hinder the start of my course.
    3. Also, my student finance maintenance loan had been approved and first payment was due to be on the first day of term but i had to change the university details after going through clearing and now that application is under review again meaning i may not receive money for weeks

So my biggest concern is having no money and potentially missing out on accommodation - am so stressed now and just really tearful and upset.

I don't really have a family who can lend me and i was outraged at my universities advice of me trying to use my overdraft to pay my deposit! I don't want to be in debt before I've even started!

can anyone help calm me down and talk me through based on experience

feeling bad and worried about going now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigaillaing)
    After luckily getting a place to study nursing through clearing i find that with 3 days left until i start that i am over whelmed with stress!

1. I have no money yet am supposed to find 300 pounds deposit.
    2. My NHS bursary application which will cover my tuition fees is still being assessed so I'm worrying that that might hinder the start of my course.
    3. Also, my student finance maintenance loan had been approved and first payment was due to be on the first day of term but i had to change the university details after going through clearing and now that application is under review again meaning i may not receive money for weeks

So my biggest concern is having no money and potentially missing out on accommodation - am so stressed now and just really tearful and upset.

I don't really have a family who can lend me and i was outraged at my universities advice of me trying to use my overdraft to pay my deposit! I don't want to be in debt before I've even started!

can anyone help calm me down and talk me through based on experience

feeling bad and worried about going now
    Until you have money, using your overdraft is probably your only option though. You should be able to get a student account which will have an interest free overdraft minimising the impact of going into it.

ReputationRep:
    do you know how i will pay my rent? will i definitely have enough to pay my rent through the year based on the money i will receive in my student loans? i think my rent is about 6000 per year which is 127 pounds per week

ReputationRep:
    It's worth asking your uni if they do an emergency fund. Mine does until students receive their student loan and then you have to pay it back.
    Student overdrafts are free though so it's worth looking into as you'll probably need it.
    Find an agency or bank jib if you don't already have one. It's the best way of flexible working around class. Most nursing students need to work part time just to live etc.
    Your bursary will come through and don't worry about tuition fees as it's still NHS funded this year and the uni know that they're basically guaranteed the fees.
    Maintanance loans are minimal when you're doing nursing, you're only entitled to the minimum amount.
    You'll be able to afford rent, but the best advice is to work during the holidays and save up for weeks when you may not be able to work. Unfortunately no one said nursing was easy. And that includes the finance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    It's worth asking your uni if they do an emergency fund. Mine does until students receive their student loan and then you have to pay it back.
    Student overdrafts are free though so it's worth looking into as you'll probably need it.
    Find an agency or bank jib if you don't already have one. It's the best way of flexible working around class. Most nursing students need to work part time just to live etc.
    Your bursary will come through and don't worry about tuition fees as it's still NHS funded this year and the uni know that they're basically guaranteed the fees.
    Maintanance loans are minimal when you're doing nursing, you're only entitled to the minimum amount.
    You'll be able to afford rent, but the best advice is to work during the holidays and save up for weeks when you may not be able to work. Unfortunately no one said nursing was easy. And that includes the finance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you this was a very helpful reply, are you studying adult nursing? i so how would describe how you've found the course so far

ReputationRep:
    No I do learning disability.
    At my uni our first and third year we're all together covering the same modules. Our tutorials are where we apply the work to our field.
    I have loved the course and it's been immensely stressful and full of money worries etc but it's so worth it! I have 10 months left and I can't wait to be finished now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    No I do learning disability.
    At my uni our first and third year we're all together covering the same modules. Our tutorials are where we apply the work to our field.
    I have loved the course and it's been immensely stressful and full of money worries etc but it's so worth it! I have 10 months left and I can't wait to be finished now!

aww congratulations sound like you're doing well, glad to hear you have found it such a great experience xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.