Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why does phenol react with 3 bromine ? Why can't it just be 1 bromine?
    This also makes me wonder paracetamol reacts with 2Br2 to have 2 substitutions, why can't it just be with 1 bromine molecule?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Phenol can substitute with 1 Br, as long as you react it with the correct amount of bromine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Why does phenol react with 3 bromine ? Why can't it just be 1 bromine?
    This also makes me wonder paracetamol reacts with 2Br2 to have 2 substitutions, why can't it just be with 1 bromine molecule?

Thanks
    Depends on the amount you add. At A-level you're told that trisubstitution takes place because the oxygen of the hydroxyl mesomerically donates electron density into the phenyl ring making it very electron rich and thus making it more prone to electrophilic substitution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Depends on the amount you add. At A-level you're told that trisubstitution takes place because the oxygen of the hydroxyl mesomerically donates electron density into the phenyl ring making it very electron rich and thus making it more prone to electrophilic substitution.
    Oh okay that makes sense, so I guess that's the same for paracetamol then because of what you said, so more electrophiles are attracted to it causing multisubsitution to take place?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay that makes sense, so I guess that's the same for paracetamol then because of what you said, so more electrophiles are attracted to it causing multisubsitution to take place?

Thank you
    Yes, paracetamol is even more electron rich than phenol because the nitrogen also donates into the ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Yes, paracetamol is even more electron rich than phenol because the nitrogen also donates into the ring.
    Do you think at A-level, it would be acceptable to just react 1 bromine with paracetamol? The mark scheme only shows that it reacts with 2 br2 molecules

ReputationRep:
    Do you think at A-level, it would be acceptable to just react 1 bromine with paracetamol? The mark scheme only shows that it reacts with 2 br2 molecules
    From what I remember A-level markers tend to stick to the mark scheme and appear to not be able to deviate from it much. Just say 2 to get the mark and it makes sense to say 2 rather than 1.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.