Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i read a pretty interesting article
    http://www.slate.com/id/2124601/

quite contraversial,..what are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghetto_faboulus)
    i read a pretty interesting article
    http://www.slate.com/id/2124601/

quite contraversial,..what are your thoughts?
    No doubt done without any malice aforethought but quite possibly something that could backfire.

ReputationRep:
    That's appalling. I don't think even members of "Kentucky Fried Cruelty" would try to argue that 'chicken rights' are comparable to human slavery. I do wish that the chickens were kept in better conditions, and not dropped into vats of boiling water, often whilst still alive. In fact, I find KFC's methods utterly disgusting, but they were bred for food, and you have to draw the line somewhere. We are omnivores, after all. I don't approve of KFC by any stretch of the imagination, and it is an area where improvement is badly needed, but I would never go so far as to compare it to human slavery.

ReputationRep:
    well, slavery not so long ago was.considered normal. maybe the domestication, and mass production of animals, is actually the same thing, only, it will take longer for us to realise its wrong, becos its a different species all together?

ReputationRep:
    This is despicable, comparing black people and animals. Who on earth would want a pet black man in their house? Always stealing shiny objects etc.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Alice Walker "animals were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites."

Haha. What idiots. I am an ardent supporter of non-human animal rights, but these people are ridiculous and make themselves come across very badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghetto_faboulus)
    well, slavery not so long ago was considered normal.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    This is despicable, comparing black people and animals. Who on earth would want a pet black man in their house? Always stealing shiny objects etc.

:rolleyes:
    I have a pet black labrador called Maggie so that proves I'm a pretty progressive guy - not racist or sexist at all.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm exaggerating if I said that hundreds of millions (if not over a billion, frankly) of people eat fish regularly. On PETA's website it says that that is extremely unhealthy for you.

How does anyone take them seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    I don't think I'm exaggerating if I said that hundreds of millions (if not over a billion, frankly) of people eat fish regularly. On PETA's website it says that that is extremely unhealthy for you.

Yes. but that's not the best example, since the fish are not kept in atrocious conditions and treated quite as bad as KFC chickens. Just search YouTube for KFC if you're in any doubt... Anyway, since when were fish not healthy? They're about the healthiest meat you can eat, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)

That's a load of boolarks. Everybody knows that eating fish makes you clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Yes. but that's not the best example, since the fish are not kept in atrocious conditions and treated quite as bad as KFC chickens. Just search YouTube for KFC if you're in any doubt... Anyway, since when were fish not healthy? They're about the healthiest meat you can eat, surely?

Well, you'd think so. But ZOMG111!!!11!

http://fishinghurts.com/healthConcerns.asp

I agree it's not the most relevant example, but it can't hurt to have a background in these bull**** peddlers.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if in a century animal rights will be comparable to ours. people can say 'we've always ate meat' but we've pretty much always had slavery as humans untill very, very recently too. You just never know.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Consie)
    i wonder if in a century animal rights will be comparable to ours. people can say 'we've always ate meat' but we've pretty much always had slavery as humans untill very, very recently too. You just never know.
    Heading that way already. A Chinese restaurant round here recently got closed down for serving dog meat. It was probably completely clean and tasty and full of the usual good stuff meat's full of, but because dogs are domesticated round here, people took offence.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it really. The way I see it, other animals hunt and kill other animals on a regular basis, it's just nature. Slavery on the other hand is exclusive to humans and does not occur within any other animal group.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it really. The way I see it, other animals hunt and kill other animals on a regular basis, it's just nature. Slavery on the other hand is exclusive to humans and does not occur within any other animal group.
    slavery is arugably an extention of the strong expoliting the weak though, which is what nature is all about (e.g. in regard to killing as you said). Its only becasue humans have more sophisticated ways of expoliting nature that slavery came into existance.

ReputationRep:

I think that is very likely.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you're coming from but I still believe the two are very distinct. While slavery is generally considered morally wrong, animals rights are not as clear cut as that, mainly as these animals have historically been bred for food, not labour.

I suppose in modern society you could argue that eating meat is now unnecessary as we no longer rely on meat to survive, but I don't think it will catch on. Too many people are now being raised surrounded by KFC's and McDonalds and trying to get them to abandon meat in under a century would be impossible imo.

ReputationRep:
    either way theyve been exploited for utility, and historically the people who got enslaved were often seen as animals anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Until we can come up with a product that looks, smells and tastes like dead animals, people will eat meat.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.