Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought this might be the best place to put this as I have tried many crafts. I don't know whether anyone else feels like this but I seem to bounce between hobbies, including crafts, I can't really seem to just find one thing to stick to and that I love. These have included: reading, sewing (different things), drawing (different things), painting-watercolour and oil, playing games, loom bands, hama beads, a blog. I feel like this is all too much and I should be doing less of these so that I can really spend enough time on them. Does anyone have any advice? How do I decide just one craft to do (I've never taken any art courses so I don't feel that I'm that good). I've also thought about trying to make money out of any of these but so far I haven't found anything, does anyone have any advice please? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I am exactly the same!
    I draw, play video games, crochet, have a blog, read, clay model (though not for a long time), write fiction and poetry and I also wanted to learn piano too. I've tried my hand at tons of things. The truth is that because I have so many hobbies, I struggle to pick what I want to do with my time. Instead of feeling very practiced in one area, I feel mediocre in all of them.

Do you have this same feeling?

In any case, out of all I enjoy drawing the most, both digitally and traditionally, and so do that most often. Can you single out a hobby that you enjoy more than any others? The one that makes you happiest and that you feel the urge to do?

It's fun to have a lot of hobbies so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't particularly want to focus on one. Having a range is great - I still have more I want to try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaCalavera)
    I am exactly the same!
    I draw, play video games, crochet, have a blog, read, clay model (though not for a long time), write fiction and poetry and I also wanted to learn piano too. I've tried my hand at tons of things. The truth is that because I have so many hobbies, I struggle to pick what I want to do with my time. Instead of feeling very practiced in one area, I feel mediocre in all of them.

Do you have this same feeling?

In any case, out of all I enjoy drawing the most, both digitally and traditionally, and so do that most often. Can you single out a hobby that you enjoy more than any others? The one that makes you happiest and that you feel the urge to do?

It's fun to have a lot of hobbies so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't particularly want to focus on one. Having a range is great - I still have more I want to try
    This sounds so like me! I feel ok at some and not that great in others. I think that to be great at one thing it needs a lot of practice?

I'm really not sure, I tend to have phases where I want to try a new craft or think about doing something but it's more thinking than action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkstudent63)
    This sounds so like me! I feel ok at some and not that great in others. I think that to be great at one thing it needs a lot of practice?

I'm really not sure, I tend to have phases where I want to try a new craft or think about doing something but it's more thinking than action.
    It does need a lot of practice. I've been drawing my whole life and I'm only producing art that makes me some money at the age of 20 years old.

And I get that! I can spend weeks, or even months, thinking about and planning doing a new craft before I actually do anything about it. I was watching YouTube videos on clay modelling for well over a year before I ever did any and the hobby was expensive and short lived.

I would suggest putting thought into which you enjoy most and pursue it! Watch other people's videos and websites and inspire yourself, Pinterest and DeviantART are great for inspiration, and then perhaps begin a channel or website or simply work towards a goal involving it? this helps you stay focused!

ReputationRep:
    It does need a lot of practice. I've been drawing my whole life and I'm only producing art that makes me some money at the age of 20 years old.

And I get that! I can spend weeks, or even months, thinking about and planning doing a new craft before I actually do anything about it. I was watching YouTube videos on clay modelling for well over a year before I ever did any and the hobby was expensive and short lived.

I would suggest putting thought into which you enjoy most and pursue it! Watch other people's videos and websites and inspire yourself, Pinterest and DeviantART are great for inspiration, and then perhaps begin a channel or website or simply work towards a goal involving it? this helps you stay focused!
    Oh wow how are you earning money drawing if you don't mind me asking?

I love pinterest and deviantart! I'm not sure if I could make videos and I don't want to pay for a website. I'd love to earn from a craft but I might have just leave it for fun.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this might be the best place to put this as I have tried many crafts. I don't know whether anyone else feels like this but I seem to bounce between hobbies, including crafts, I can't really seem to just find one thing to stick to and that I love. These have included: reading, sewing (different things), drawing (different things), painting-watercolour and oil, playing games, loom bands, hama beads, a blog. I feel like this is all too much and I should be doing less of these so that I can really spend enough time on them. Does anyone have any advice? How do I decide just one craft to do (I've never taken any art courses so I don't feel that I'm that good). I've also thought about trying to make money out of any of these but so far I haven't found anything, does anyone have any advice please? Thank you.
    1. Make a list of hobbies you like.

2. Try one hobby out every evening and document how you felt after doing each one

3. After trying out every single hobby, read through what you documented agter completing each hobby.

4. Think about which hobby you enjoyed the most and stick to that maybe.

Hmm not sure about money making. Try out drawing, watercolouring and oilpainting, promote it and see if anyone is interested in buying them. Also you could try to stich a few clothing items and promote it by saying you could make things on request for someone then you possibly could start your own tailoring business that way. Blogging needs commitment so stick to just that... Maybe you could combine two hobbies like sewing and blogging to make money. These are all ideas, up to you though!

Btw I don't think it's neccessary for you to stick to one. Having a broad range if hobbies is excellent and great to put down in your CV or personal statement if you're applying for university.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow how are you earning money drawing if you don't mind me asking?

I love pinterest and deviantart! I'm not sure if I could make videos and I don't want to pay for a website. I'd love to earn from a craft but I might have just leave it for fun.
    I've stopped again now I need the time for university, but I join websites solely dedicated to art and such (furry websites usually tend to hand out a lot of cash for art) and I advertise my services with a price list. People are willing to spend a shocking amount of money for art, especially if it's of their own original characters.

You could just make a DeviantART account and upload regularly to build up interest! eventually you could set up a commission journal or website - there's loads of ways to make a free website for basic stuff!

Regardless I hope that whatever you do, you do it for fun and because it makes you happy! That's the only hobby worth pursuing.

ReputationRep:
    I've stopped again now I need the time for university, but I join websites solely dedicated to art and such (furry websites usually tend to hand out a lot of cash for art) and I advertise my services with a price list. People are willing to spend a shocking amount of money for art, especially if it's of their own original characters.

You could just make a DeviantART account and upload regularly to build up interest! eventually you could set up a commission journal or website - there's loads of ways to make a free website for basic stuff!

Regardless I hope that whatever you do, you do it for fun and because it makes you happy! That's the only hobby worth pursuing.
    Good luck with university. Thank you. I've always wondered if someone commissions you how do you send them the art, do you send them a digital copy and risk someone selling your stuff on or do you use special paper to print off a copy and send that to them?

I looked at blogs and websites before but WordPress did not have a social feature or many ways of attracting visitors and tumblr is good but perhaps not so good at actually earning money?

Yes happiness is key!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with university. Thank you. I've always wondered if someone commissions you how do you send them the art, do you send them a digital copy and risk someone selling your stuff on or do you use special paper to print off a copy and send that to them?

I looked at blogs and websites before but WordPress did not have a social feature or many ways of attracting visitors and tumblr is good but perhaps not so good at actually earning money?

Yes happiness is key!
    Thank you!

I personally conduct my commissions on a website where I'm well acquainted with most of the people and can trust them. Anyone that I don't trust I insist I receive payment through PayPal beforehand and then send a digital copy (I make digital art mostly). I also will upload artwork with a signature that is impossible to cut off without ruining the image usually
    DeviantART also offer their own watermark thing but I have a feeling that's for core members only? It's easy to make your own watermark anyway though to be fair!

I usually just make commission threads on forums with my rates and examples

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.