Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Sillicone Hydrogel Contact Lenses

ReputationRep:
    I was getting a check up at the opticians today, as I have had some problems with my contact lenses drying out after just a few hours wear - seemingly at random. Normally I wear my contacts for about 14 hours, which I know isn't recommended, but as a nurse working long shifts, I have little choice other than wearing my glasses.The optician said my eyes look quite red, and there is some neovascularisation and has recommended sillicone hydrogel lenses. Just wondered what others' experiences were and whether they make any difference - positive or negative. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    I was getting a check up at the opticians today, as I have had some problems with my contact lenses drying out after just a few hours wear - seemingly at random. Normally I wear my contacts for about 14 hours, which I know isn't recommended, but as a nurse working long shifts, I have little choice other than wearing my glasses.The optician said my eyes look quite red, and there is some neovascularisation and has recommended sillicone hydrogel lenses. Just wondered what others' experiences were and whether they make any difference - positive or negative. Thanks!
    Just going to give this a quick bump for you so you'll hopefully get some replies!

From what I've heard those contacts can be quite good, I know someone that's tried them for similar reasons for you that's talked about them anyway and also someone that didn't get on with 'normal' ones for some reason, I've always just stuck to glasses myself though. The idea of contacts freaks me out I guess you could give them a go a couple of days you're not working sometime and see how you find them, then have more options if you don't like them? Obviously an optician has much better idea though and someone that's actually tried them so hopefully someone else will reply good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.