A conversation: Watch

Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
"Hey, Ryan, sorry to call you so late but I knew you'd probably be up anyway."
"..."
"We've been discussing this. What's a posher word for... like, to get off something? Say, a bus."
"Disembark."
"'Disembark'?"
"Yes. To disembark. Or 'alight from'."
"Ahh. That's the one. Thanks Ryan."
"I hope this resolves your debate."
"Yeah, it does. Thanks. Bye!"
"Bye."

Strange, strange people.
anjurdsg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
;laugh;
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
haha you must be the big word man ;yes;
ISH
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What's your number? I'll call you
Profesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by ISH)
What's your number? I'll call you
Hm. International; land-line to mobile; probably cross-network.

Just how big is your trust-fund?
ISH
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
phone card
Profesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackswan)
haha you must be the big word man ;yes;
She's a Greek ex-patriate and graduate-student who up until June of this year occupied the room adjacent to my own, and whose essays I would proof-read at thirty pounds a time. Before I got myself a job, she would feed me.

It's an interesting friendship.
ßlαcksωαn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
She's a Greek ex-patriate and graduate-student who up until June of this year occupied the room adjacent to my own, and whose essays I would proof-read at thirty pounds a time. Before I got myself a job, she would feed me.

It's an interesting friendship.
$71 jives
Was she mentally handicapped?
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 11 years ago
Kind soul you have there. I am not pleased to be awake at this hour.
Profesh
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackswan)
$71 jives
Was she mentally handicapped?
No; but English is essentially her second-language, and by 'proof-reading' I do mean 'substantive re-drafting' and 'syntactic refinement' as much as 'glorified spell-checking'. That said; she is undertaking a Master's in Nutrition: infer what you will.

Similarly, a Polish student of 'Psychology & Linguistics' at U.W.E. pledged me £130 to 'improve' her dissertation; she got a First.

It's becoming axiomatic that, if I reside anywhere for a sufficient duration, people will attempt to employ me.

(Original post by Timeslikethese)
Kind soul you have there. I am not pleased to be awake at this hour.
Really? I love it. Although I am feeling decidedly acne-ridden at the moment and, as such, somewhat diffident as regards anything less than a quasi-nocturnal footing.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 11 years ago

Really? I love it. Although I am feeling decidedly acne-ridden at the moment and, as such, somewhat diffident as regards anything less than a quasi-nocturnal footing.
Poor thing, I have an overactive mind at the moment. Lots to do and also a toothache. Plus I am too hot and dehydrated.

It's all so wonderful.
ßlαcksωαn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No; but English is essentially her second-language, and by 'proof-reading' I do mean 'substantive re-drafting' and 'syntactic refinement' as much as 'glorified spell-checking'. That said; she is undertaking a Master's in Nutrition: infer what you will.

Similarly, a Polish student of 'Psychology & Linguistics' at U.W.E. pledged me £130 to 'improve' her dissertation; she got a First.

It's becoming axiomatic that, if I reside anywhere for a sufficient duration, people will attempt to employ me.

I understand now why someone would pay so much for your services...;yes;
Grift
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lol. I had a similar conversation before.

My friend called me up at like...1 in the morning and asked me whether the proper phrase was 'to fill you up' or 'to fill you in on the details', because apparently he was having an argument with this girl that insisted 'to fill you up' was correct. If it wasn't for the fact that I usually do stay up that late, I'd probably have yelled at him...
Profesh
Rep:
?
Poor thing, I have an overactive mind at the moment. Lots to do and also a toothache. Plus I am too hot and dehydrated.

It's all so wonderful.
I discovered that the enamel of my teeth is for all practical purposes impregnable when I 'forgot' to brush them. For two months.

My mind is hyperactive at present. (Coffee sustains me; but I do enjoy the boon of being quite easily-amused.)

I am otherwise preoccupied: by music; and with the (seemingly-insurmountable) endeavour of coaxing my 'ex' out for lunch.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 11 years ago
I discovered that the enamel of my teeth is for all practical purposes impregnable when I 'forgot' to brush them. For two months.

My mind is hyperactive at present. (Coffee sustains me; but I do enjoy the boon of being quite easily-amused.)

I am otherwise preoccupied: by music; and with the (seemingly-insurmountable) endeavour of coaxing my 'ex' out for lunch.
Well, I am fretting over a brand new issue. I was told today that I have to move out of the house I have been living in for a month and find another. It wouldn't be an issue as I am moving to France in a couple of weeks. But there's the other half to think of and offer my help to as it will be himself who stays for 12 months.

Massively inconvenient and I really cannot be bothered, i'd just settled here and have been decorating etc and planning what to buy for my new room in france. So far this lamp: http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ac/89/9417_3.JPG is occupying my every waking thought. I must have it!
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ever considered investing in an 090 number and marketing yourself as dial-a-thesaurus?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Well, I am fretting over a brand new issue. I was told today that I have to move out of the house I have been living in for a month and find another. It wouldn't be an issue as I am moving to France in a couple of weeks. But there's the other half to think of and offer my help to as it will be himself who stays for 12 months.
There's an "other half"? How enigmatic; if I might enquire, what are his circumstances giving rise to the above predicament?

Massively inconvenient and I really cannot be bothered, i'd just settled here and have been decorating etc and planning what to buy for my new room in france. So far this lamp: http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ac/89/9417_3.JPG is occupying my every waking thought. I must have it!
That looks to be a fine addition to any apartment adequately furnished in leather-bound books and rich mahogany.

(Incidentally, I hope you realise that you've just increased the catchment of potential bidders exponentially.)

(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
Ever considered investing in an 090 number and marketing yourself as dial-a-thesaurus?
As but one of numerous possible avenues; naturally.

Heck, I might even procure an '090' number for orthodox purposes.
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 11 years ago
There's an "other half"? How enigmatic; if I might enquire, what are his circumstances giving rise to the above predicament?

That looks to be a fine addition to any apartment adequately furnished in leather-bound books and rich mahogany.

(Incidentally, I hope you realise that you've just increased the catchment of potential bidders exponentially.)
He thinks he might just squat for a few months. If we don't find anywhere very soon, this may be his only option.

And I do realise that people might bid for this lamp, but i'd be amazed if many people on tsr can actually afford it.
Jennybean
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I saw that lamp! I was going to buy it too! *Spots potential blackmail material*
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jennybean)
I saw that lamp! I was going to buy it too! *Spots potential blackmail material*
Seriously, it's not going to happen. I'm prepared to pay a fair bit for it!

:hmmm:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.49%
No (450)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.78%

Watched Threads