Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically my GCSE's are 4A*'s and 3A's and 3B's (at a school with a Pass Rate of 5 A*-C of 47%).............

Currently my A-Levels are (or will hopefully be lol) when applying to university, AAAAaa (with the last 'a' in General Studies) and i am doing a gap year with the Bank of England this year.........

Now 2 Questions............

1. Is it really worth re-sitting the GCSE's i got the B's in (i.e. only re-sitting 3 GCSE's including English which i received a B in and taking on 1-2 extra) to help university application?? - as they shall not be much hassle for me

- Consider the above under 2 situations,
    (a) Will it be worth re-sitting them and applying to university this year??(i.e. would the re-sists be taken into account) and.......
    (b) The 2nd situation if i re-apply next year will they help my chances??? - the improved grades in my GCSE's

^^^ To the above question i am referring to universities such as Oxbridge, LSE, Warrick etc and also i expect my GCSE grades to jump to 8A*'s and 3A's after re-sitting etc.

2. Will Re-sitting the GCSE's help much in terms of employment as i wish to enter the IB field, or will my A-Levels be fine??? (i have a-level or shall do, in both FM and Maths)

- The reason i ask is i am a bit weary of my results in my GCSE's and i know many say this but the only reason i performed poorly was because i was naive back then and also my state comprehensive was particularly poor (with only 47% of students passing).......

So is it worth re-sitting GCSE's in this circumstance or will my A-Level grades as well as my high school reputation in the performance of my GCSE's be largely taken into account???

Thankx for any advice given as it is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    They, frankly, wouldn't make a difference to your application. The universities will be well aware that you've retaken them at a later date (after finishing your A Levels!) and will value them accordingly (IE not a lot). Its not going to make a difference, in fact it may devalue your application once they see you've been retaking GCSEs to improve your score after A Levels. Just apply now, your GCSEs are perfectly fine. Many people (me included) get into universities like Cambridge with much less.

I can't really talk for IB but again, your CV would show that you achieved the GCSEs at a later date or at a separate institution (depending on how you set it out, of course) and would pretty much nullify their result. They are probably much more interested in firstly, where you went to university and what classification you got and secondly, A levels after that. A 1st from Cambridge is probably going to count for much more than an extra 3 A*s at GCSE.

Oh and 47% isn't that low. Seeing as it goes down to about 25%, its actually fairly average.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, if you are going to apply to the top universities it would pay to know how to spell their names correctly.

It really is not worth re-sitting GCSEs after A levels. And you would only have awkward questions to answer about why you did it - it is not normal. Your A levels will speak for themselves, although I can't see how you are able to predict your grades so confidently if you are only now doing AS.

ReputationRep:
    There is absolutely no point in resitting your GCSEs when you got all A*s, As and Bs, firstly because those grades are fine even for Oxbridge, secondly because unis would know from the dates that you'd resat, which wouldn't look impressive, and thirdly because GCSEs are only one small part of your whole application. Your A-levels are obviously excellent, and if you write an excellent personal statement, get an excellent reference and, for Oxbridge, shine at the other criteria such as extra mini personal statement and reference, submitted written work, admissions tests and interviews, your GCSEs won't be a problem. I don't know about investment banking, but really I wouldn't have thought they'd care much about GCSEs compared to the uni you went to, your degree and your A-levels. You can ask your referee to mention your school's pass rate in your reference, and go into even more detail on the separate Oxbridge reference and questionnaire, if you want, and it will be taken into account that your grades are very good for your school, but as 3232 said, 47% is average, not 'particularly poor.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    First of all, if you are going to apply to the top universities it would pay to know how to spell their names correctly.

It really is not worth re-sitting GCSEs after A levels. And you would only have awkward questions to answer about why you did it - it is not normal. Your A levels will speak for themselves, although I can't see how you are able to predict your grades so confidently if you are only now doing AS.
    Firstly it was a post so what if i spelt Warwick as Warrick it hardly matters in this case (+ it was like 4 in the morning lol)...........

Secondly i'm not on my AS's at the moment, if you read my post you would have realised i have just finished my A2's and am taking a gap year

Thankx to everyone for the information if has helped clear things up........

The reason i thought 47% was poor was because i go to a grammar school now for my a-levels where the rate is 98%!! LOL which i only thought private schools such as Eton etc could achieve

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are not very clear, are you? There is no need to get ratty to people anweriing your questions. You also say you are taking a gap year when you mean you will be taking a gap year and your punctuation is poor too.

Just to put A level pass rates in perspective, my school achieves 100% of A level passes now (75% A grades, 96.5% B or better) so a 98% pass rate for A levels is not too good). It has become, a "no fail" exam since the new system was introduced.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are not very clear, are you? There is no need to get ratty to people anweriing your questions. You also say you are taking a gap year when you mean you will be taking a gap year and your punctuation is poor too.

Just to put A level pass rates in perspective, my school achieves 100% of A level passes now (75% A grades, 96.5% B or better) so a 98% pass rate for A levels is not too good). It has become, a "no fail" exam since the new system was introduced.

I think they are talking about GCSE pass rates, not A Level.

ReputationRep:
    No, he said his school A level pass rate was 98% and he thought only Eton could achieve that. The 47% referred to GCSEs.

ReputationRep:

firstly i ain't getting 'ratty'

secondly - like i said before i think you NEED TO READ the thread properly, as i clearly in the second line of my 1st post write, "i am doing a gap year with the bank of england this year" (and as for the punctuation it was 4 in the morning!!! lol)

but really who cares its a minor misunderstanding so its all good mate

- thanks for the advice, i was talking about the GCSE pass rates though, at my state comp it was 49%, and the grammar school i go to now the GCSE pass rate (for the same year) was 98% (practically double)

ReputationRep:
    No, he said his school A level pass rate was 98% and he thought only Eton could achieve that. The 47% referred to GCSEs.
    yea soz i think i now where you mi-unsertood this time, i wrote

"The reason i thought 47% was poor was because i go to a grammar school now for my a-levels where the rate is 98%!"

wot i meant was at my state comp it was 40% but the grammar school i have gone to do my a-levels the GCSE rate is 98%

ReputationRep:

Again, no, you've misunderstood the construction of his sentence. He only mentions his A Levels because he's going to a school to take his A Levels which has a GCSE pass rate of 98%, compared to his previous school which has a GCSE pass rate of 47%.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, thank you 3232, we've cleared it up between us.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.