Another 'Can I get into St Andrews with these grades'?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you must all be sick of this.

I'm a bit of a weird case.

I have pretty poor GCSE grades, but decent A-Levels, and okay predicted A2 grades. I have fairly major extentuating circumstances for GCSE grades, and a fluke in an AS exam which brought my History grade down. Other than that, I'm very good at History.

Okay, so here are the grades:

GCSE -

A* - History
    A* - English Literature
    A* - English Language
    B - Physics
    B - Biology
    B - Media Studies
    C - Math
    C - Chemistry
    D - Law
    E - Drama

I missed pretty much four years of Secondary Education. Coursework included. I lost the ability to walk/stand in Year 7, and didn't attend school consistently until Year 11 because of my medical issues. I could go into a lot more detail, but they are the basics. Because of my absence due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to catch up with the four years of Secondary Education I had missed and the teachers were not very supportive with helping me out. If I hadn't suffered from chronic health conditions, the B's would probably have been A's at least.

Also, we didn't have a proper teacher for either GCSE Law or GCSE Drama, so coupled with how much I missed, not ideal at all.

AS Exams -

A - English Literature
    A - English Language
    B - History (100% in Paper One, and then a bad day in Paper Two. Complete fluke!)

A2 Predicted grades:

A*A*A
    (History, English Language and English Literature respectively).

I'm also doing an EPQ (but have no idea if I have a predicted grade for that or something, I've not been told anything of the sort).

I'm hoping to be a History professor/academic/Historian when I'm older. I'm thinking of doing Latin and Modern History/Medieval History (haven't made my mind up yet) at St Andrews. I'm also applying to Cambridge, Durham, York, and thinking of Manchester, Exeter, and strongly considering St Andrews.

Given my academic profile, is an application to St Andrews worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Hey, you must all be sick of this.

I'm a bit of a weird case.

I have pretty poor GCSE grades, but decent A-Levels, and okay predicted A2 grades. I have fairly major extentuating circumstances for GCSE grades, and a fluke in an AS exam which brought my History grade down. Other than that, I'm very good at History.

Okay, so here are the grades:

GCSE -

A* - History
    A* - English Literature
    A* - English Language
    B - Physics
    B - Biology
    B - Media Studies
    C - Math
    C - Chemistry
    D - Law
    E - Drama

I missed pretty much four years of Secondary Education. Coursework included. I lost the ability to walk/stand in Year 7, and didn't attend school consistently until Year 11 because of my medical issues. I could go into a lot more detail, but they are the basics. Because of my absence due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to catch up with the four years of Secondary Education I had missed and the teachers were not very supportive with helping me out. If I hadn't suffered from chronic health conditions, the B's would probably have been A's at least.

Also, we didn't have a proper teacher for either GCSE Law or GCSE Drama, so coupled with how much I missed, not ideal at all.

AS Exams -

A - English Literature
    A - English Language
    B - History (100% in Paper One, and then a bad day in Paper Two. Complete fluke!)

A2 Predicted grades:

A*A*A
    (History, English Language and English Literature respectively).

I'm also doing an EPQ (but have no idea if I have a predicted grade for that or something, I've not been told anything of the sort).

I'm hoping to be a History professor/academic/Historian when I'm older. I'm thinking of doing Latin and Modern History/Medieval History (haven't made my mind up yet) at St Andrews. I'm also applying to Cambridge, Durham, York, and thinking of Manchester, Exeter, and strongly considering St Andrews.

Given my academic profile, is an application to St Andrews worth it?
    Your extenuating circumstances sound pretty impactful, and more importantly they appear to no longer affect you (from your good AS grades). I think you certainly have a reasonable chance. I would apply if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Your extenuating circumstances sound pretty impactful, and more importantly they appear to no longer affect you (from your good AS grades). I think you certainly have a reasonable chance. I would apply if you want to.
    Thanks very much! I still struggle but I've had very good attendance at Sixth Form and such, so yeah they don't affect me and my studies as severely as they used to do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I also want to ask for opinions. I will be sending applications in about a month and St Andrews will probably be my first choice uni. I want to take a management course. I take IB and right now my predicted grades are:
    6 HL Art (might turn that into a 7)
    6 HL English Lang&Lit
    5 HL economics
    7 SL Math
    7 SL Russian literature
    6 SL Bio (might get a 7 though)
    Overall score: 39-41 points (depending on EE and TOK grades)

Is it worth applying to St Andrews with these grades?

ReputationRep:
    Subject: English literature

GCSEs: A*AAAAAAABBC
    AS: C- Spanish (don't have any other AS grades in my other subjects because I'm on the new syllabus)
    Predicted grades: A*A*A (also doing an EPQ)

Do I have a chance? I'm worried that my GCSEs and AS profile isn't good enough

ReputationRep:
    The fact that your GCSE and A-level grades are better than mine suggest that you have a pretty good chance of getting an offer; I graduated in 2015. Then again, it does rather depend on department/course. You may wish to consider applying to a course that is slightly less subscribed and then taking the requires modules to fulfill a History degree (they don't actually decide on actual degree titles until 3/4th year). The only downside is that compulsory modules for History may be over-subscribed..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabelle99)
    Subject: English literature

GCSEs: A*AAAAAAABBC
    AS: C- Spanish (don't have any other AS grades in my other subjects because I'm on the new syllabus)
    Predicted grades: A*A*A (also doing an EPQ)

Do I have a chance? I'm worried that my GCSEs and AS profile isn't good enough
    Hey! You most definitely have a chance. Your predicted grades are well above the required grades so you should be fine as long as you achieve them.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.