Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Maths A-level required for medicine at Russell Group universities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year of A-levels and I'm studying Chemistry, biology, maths and Latin but I really haven't enjoyed maths so far and plan to drop it. If I do so, will I still be eligible to apply to study medicine at the top unis (Oxbridge, Imperial etc.)?

Also I plan to replace maths with Mandarin so is Bioology, chemistry, Latin, Mandarin an acceptable blend of A-levels for medicine?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    No its not. Unless you want to apply to one specific college in Cambridge which requires maths. Some uni's do want 3 sciences tho, but the vast majority do not

ReputationRep:
    No you don't need maths

Yes you will still be able to apply everywhere without maths (except for one specific cambridge college)

Biology chemistry and latin would be a fine selection of a levels. Including mandarin would also be fine so long as it doesn't compromise your chances of getting AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlinyTheElder)
    I'm in my first year of A-levels and I'm studying Chemistry, biology, maths and Latin but I really haven't enjoyed maths so far and plan to drop it. If I do so, will I still be eligible to apply to study medicine at the top unis (Oxbridge, Imperial etc.)?

Also I plan to replace maths with Mandarin so is Bioology, chemistry, Latin, Mandarin an acceptable blend of A-levels for medicine?

Thanks in advance
    Yes. But! Firstly, most Cambridge medics do study mainly sciences at A-level, and not doing so might put you at a disadvantage. I'm not sure the extent to which that is true elsewhere. Secondly, there aren't really "top unis" for medicine in the same way that there are for other subjects, since all medical courses are required to teach to a certain standard. Oxbridge may give you an advantage if you want to go into research, but could possibly even be a disadvantage otherwise (less contact with patients might make some people worse doctors). The difference in prestige between Imperial and say Newcastle is irrelevant for medicine.

Obviously, doing Mandarin is better than only doing three subjects (although that's fine too). But if you are already fluent in it I don't think an A-level in it is likely to be worth much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.