The Student Room Group

Polymers

This is a research question, if you can help me please feel free :wink: so here goes...

"Polymers have different structures. They also have different functions. Describe how the structure of different polymers are related to their functions"

This is biological. Therefore must include carbohydrates, proteins, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Oh and by the way, it's a 25 marker
Carbohydrates are polymers of monosaccharides joined by glycosidic bonds. The 3 main ones you can do research about are cellulose, glycogen and starch.
Proteins are polymers of amino acids joined by peptide bonds and their structures vary lots because of their primary, secondary and tertiary structure. You could research common ones like haeomoglobin, collagen, elastin, etc
Nucleic acids are polymers of nucleotides joined by phosphodiester bonds and these refer to DNA, RNA and ADP.
Hopefully these are some good ideas to help you get started :-)
You could easily get 25 marks out of this :-)
Reply 3
Thanks
typicalvirgo's answer is good but I have a little more to add. I think it's important to be both clear & strict about what we call a polymer - a polymer is a long molecule formed when many small monomers join together in a chain. Hence what is not a polymer, is a monosaccharide (monosaccharides are the monomers from which carbohydrates, or polysaccharides form). ADP is also not a polymer, or even a monomer, although it does have structural similarities to nucleotides.
Most of the polymers encountered in biology are condensation polymers. When they form, H2O is eliminated and it can be added in again to break the polymer back down into monomer units.
The functions of polymers are important to consider, carbohydrates are generally either structural e.g. chitin & cellulose or storage e.g. starch & glycogen.
Proteins play a very wide variety of roles, most commonly structurally or as enzymes although they are certainly not restricted to this!
Polynucleotides/nucleic acids are involved in the storage (DNA) and processing of (RNA) genetic information, in order to synthesis proteins.
If I were you, I would try to focus on how the structure relates to the function e.g. glycogen is branched to allow easier hydrolysis into glucose - maybe try and find more stuff like this :smile: good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you and yeah I have gotten down the branching, etc. :smile:
Reply 6
Ok, so I have a test on Monday for AS Biology.

Apparently it will include:
--> Cell Ultrastructure
--> Carbohydrates
--> Microscopy

Any tips will be much appreciated
Original post by k.russell
typicalvirgo's answer is good but I have a little more to add. I think it's important to be both clear & strict about what we call a polymer - a polymer is a long molecule formed when many small monomers join together in a chain. Hence what is not a polymer, is a monosaccharide (monosaccharides are the monomers from which carbohydrates, or polysaccharides form). ADP is also not a polymer, or even a monomer, although it does have structural similarities to nucleotides.
Most of the polymers encountered in biology are condensation polymers. When they form, H2O is eliminated and it can be added in again to break the polymer back down into monomer units.
The functions of polymers are important to consider, carbohydrates are generally either structural e.g. chitin & cellulose or storage e.g. starch & glycogen.
Proteins play a very wide variety of roles, most commonly structurally or as enzymes although they are certainly not restricted to this!
Polynucleotides/nucleic acids are involved in the storage (DNA) and processing of (RNA) genetic information, in order to synthesis proteins.
If I were you, I would try to focus on how the structure relates to the function e.g. glycogen is branched to allow easier hydrolysis into glucose - maybe try and find more stuff like this :smile: good luck

Writing's not easy. That's why Grammarly can help. This sentence is grammatically correct, but it's wordy, and hard to read. but also I just properly read this and it's really helpful so thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest