Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i am studying maths chemistry and physics for a2 currently and i did GCSE art, just completely stuck as to what course i want to take up next year at uni.
    i had a one week work experience at a small architect firm and i enjoyed the designing aspect of it but the thing that is putting me off is the '7 years' till graduation!! im definitely not sure if i like it that much to commit to it and i know it will be a lot of hard work and late nights so dedication (which i dont know if i have) is key to this course.. yeahh any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Think about it as a career option, and not just in terms of the duration of the course: do you want to draw details of loos in larger projects, or design extensions for private clients?

Always think about what's involved in the longer term, day-to-day iteration of the job, and that tells you pretty quickly if it's a career that appeals.

It's quite hard to make a decent living btw, and you have lifelong liability for your work.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.I will be honest here.Answer these questions and you don't have to say it out loud.Why do you want to become an architect? Is this something that you really want to do?Do you have a dream or a passion that you want to live off with?I understand that taking your first step to a college student is really hard, because in the end that will identify you as who you are and what you do. It's not easy.If you decide to take an Architectural Course at university, it's going to be a hell of a journey for you. And everybody will have different answers on how they felt about the course.Yes, 7 years is long, and as what DrSocSciences have said really well but to think about the longer term.If you do not have any other thoughts on what course or degree that you want to take, my advice or recommendation would be... why not try it out for a year? And that one year... ask a lot of question to your tutors, lectures and professors. Because they can share the story with you and actually understand what Architects do and how to become one.The questions might be very specific like:-Why did you become an architect?-How is it like to work as an architect?-What do you hate about being an architect?I don't know if this helped you, but it's a very personal matter.TKArchiEvo

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ArchiEvo;67615442]Hi there.

I will be honest here.

Answer these questions and you don't have to say it out loud.
    Why do you want to become an architect?
    Is this something that you really want to do?
    Do you have a dream or a passion that you want to live off with?

I understand that taking your first step to a college student is really hard, because in the end that will identify you as who you are and what you do. It's not easy.

If you decide to take an Architectural Course at university, it's going to be a hell of a journey for you.
    And everybody will have different answers on how they felt about the course.

Yes, 7 years is long, and as what DrSocSciences have said really well but to think about the longer term.

If you do not have any other thoughts on what course or degree that you want to take, my advice or recommendation would be...
    why not try it out for a year?
    And that one year... ask a lot of question to your tutors, lectures and professors.
    Because they can share the story with you and actually understand what Architects do and how to become one.
    The questions might be very specific like:
    -Why did you become an architect?
    -How is it like to work as an architect?
    -What do you hate about being an architect?

I don't know if this helped you, but it's a very personal matter.

TK
    ArchiEvo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.