Turn on thread page Beta

Obsessive-Compulsive disorder watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry C)
    It gets easier and less severe as you get older.
    Not always. And it can also change forms. For example, when I was younger, I was obsessive about things like having EVERYTHING in my room perfect before I was able to fall asleep. Ie, the wardrobe had to be shut, the curtains perfectly arranged, the drawers shut firmly, my door shut firmly.. and EVERY door in the house had to be shut, it drove my family mad. But now that's not so intense, it's changed into a form of perfectionism where my image must be flawless (hair, make up, figure, clothes) and I must get top grades in subjects I consider myself to be remotely good at etc. I also do the thing mentioned above where if I write something and I mess it up or the handwriting looks scruffy, I scrap it and restart.

With some people it doesn't go away. I have to take prozac daily to control it or I get really really distressed and it gets out of hand and I get seriously depressed. I doubt I'll ever grow out of it, so I don't see how you can say such a generalised thing as 'It gets easier and less severe as you get older.' If anything mine has got worse with age.

Sorry to the thread starter to make out OCD is hell to live with - if you find a way to control it in any way as I have, it's not hell, you just learn to live with it. But this is what I mean when I say it can take a serious hold of you life and interfear with your happiness if left and not looked into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her-own-wings)
    it can also change forms.
    Yeah, I have that. I was a childhood handwasher with an irrational belief that everything I touched was poisonous or infectious (it seems to run in my family, if in a less extreme form; my dad hoovers obsessively), and with the occasional unbidden (but frightening) compulsions to stab myself with knives or stick my fingers into electrical sockets, etc. However, as I grew older, I learnt to recognise the thought processes and go against them, which helped a lot. CBT might be an idea, as it runs along similar lines.

I still have mild OCD, it only expresses itself nowadays in tendancies towards collecting (or 'hoarding', as my long-suffering mum calls it) pointless things, chopping vegetables very precisely into equal slices, making sure that things are symmetrical, and not treading on the cracks in the pavement. Yes, it's silly, no I'm not cured, but I don't find that a few relatively minor eccentricites intrude overly on my day-to-day life, and it's far better than it was.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2007
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.