The Student Room Group

How many offers did you get?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkboyk
It was mainly Cardiff (AAB/A*BB/A*AC), Leicester (AAA for MMath) and Newcastle(AAB or A*AB) that required these grades. The rest offered me ABB due to taking Further Maths.

Didn't apply to Bristol or Warwick, although a few of my classmates got contextual offers AAB instead of A*AA for Bristol.

Thankfully @jneill gave me a glimmer of hope for my "dire" situation. I got AACD respectively for Maths,Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at AS. I'm currently an A2 student and will be applying for a Maths course at Manchester, Nottingham, Southampton, Birmingham(or leicester) and Surrey. The first 4 choices have a typical offer of A*AA-AAA for the course. I'm predicted A*AC (with the C being for Chemistry). What do you think my chances of getting an offer will be like with a good personal statement and reference? Do you know people that have been in my situation? Outcome?

I'd love to know other people's views/opinions of what my chances would be like as well , while I wait for the unis' administrations teams to reply back to me

Spoiler

Original post by kkboyk
What uni are you planning on applying to? Many unis lower their grades during clearing (cardiff, liverpool and sheffield lowered their offers for Maths to ABB, then on the final week of august to BBB).

Well Ideally all things been well and me getting high enough grades this half to justify applying next year, Cambridge/Imperial/Warwick/Bristol.

Cambridge and Imperial are probably unrealistic but with hard work I think Warwick and Bristol should be obtainable. I also never like to rule out the best until 100% clear i can't have it.

However I am aware self teaching myself on top of a full time job Hoping for A*A*A* is a bit of a push and may not happen. So I need to accept the possibility that I might have to lower my expectations at some point, so cannot rule out weaker institutions. Really though so long as it is Russel group or a university of decent standing it is not a huge deal. Liverpool are pretty weak for maths according to what I have read and my research, I also have heard some things I don't like about Sheffield such as large class sizes etc. However I could live with Sheffield/Kings college quite happily.

It is part of my personality to always seek the best until it is clear i can't have it. when I am at university I will constantly be thinking of getting a first until either I get that first or until it becomes mathematically highly improbable.

I just need to get the work ethic to back this mentality up, I am not quite there yet but My work behavior is getting better. still noway near 5 hours a week day of study and 10 on a weekend. however I did do 3 hours on friday and four yesterday. on 2 so far today.

I know I need to step this up to get those grades.
4 offers (Warwick, UCL, Nottingham and Bristol) and 1 rej (Oxford), predicted A*A*A (was self teaching, tutor provided), Maths and CompSci. Warwick, Notts, UCL were A*AA and Bristol AAA.

This was with a pretty disastrous set of AAABC (post remark) at Higher and BCD advanced higher (long story, coursework was disqualified). Not sure if it helps anyone/gives hope or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mediocrecraig
I would say you have a good chance, provided you get the required grades in the end obviously :wink: When I applied to Imperial last year, I found that they considered my personal statement a lot (a pleasant surprise after the Cambridge application), so I'd suspect you'll be far more likely to get interviewed if you read like an interesting person in your personal statement. That was just my experience though.

I found this FoI request (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/percentage_of_applicants_getting) which returned that 55% of applicants for MSci Chemical Engineering in 2015 were invited for interview, which means that you have a reasonable chance at that. Once you've made it to the interview stage there are a lot of other factors that start to creep in... 15% of all applicants received an offer in 2015.

Yes!! I'm so scared for the interview if I'm invited:redface: But, I really want to go there, the campus is so nice. I wouldn't mind going to Nottingham I liked their chem eng department too. Do you have any ideas on what they'd ask at the interview specifically for chem eng? Thanks:biggrin:
Original post by 1010marina
4 offers

AAAB at AS, predicted AAA (maths SHOULD have been an A* prediction but my school wouldn't allow my teacher to!).

Applied to chemistry (with year abroad/with Spanish/study in continental Europe courses).

Offers from Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol and Imperial. Rejected for NatSci from Cambridge (no interview, and I was in the bottom 20% of applicants).

Got A*AA (* in chem) and am heading off to Imperial for Chemistry with Spanish for Science.

I'm also interested in doing Chemistry, but also considering Biomedical Science.

What are the job prospects for a Chemistry degree, and what do you hope to do with your Chemistry degree, also is it a Bsc or an MChem.

Also, how did you get your A* in Chemistry, any useful resources or revision tips?

Thanks for your time
Reply 45
AS grades: AABCEU
predicted grades: A*AB merit

Got all 5 offers but it's a fairly niche course.
Original post by OGFakiie
Yes!! I'm so scared for the interview if I'm invited:redface: But, I really want to go there, the campus is so nice. I wouldn't mind going to Nottingham I liked their chem eng department too. Do you have any ideas on what they'd ask at the interview specifically for chem eng? Thanks:biggrin:

I didn't interview for ChemEng myself, but my friends who did all came away with different experiences. I would expect them to ask you some maths questions targeting the A-A* band of your Maths syllabus, and maybe some Chemistry general knowledge. You might find this post from someone who applied for ChemEng in 2014-2015 interesting: http://www.topuniversities.com/blog/how-survive-interview-imperial-college-london.

When I was interviewed, the professor had a digital copy of my personal statement in front of him and had highlighted some segments he wanted to ask me about. He quizzed me on my most academic claims, probably just to make sure I wasn't lying about it. I was also asked to do some simple differentiation and to sketch a graph of y=sin(x)/x. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by patrick_horro
why can't you do a 3 year course in physics at oxford? only the 4 year masters.

My Google-fu suggests that you can do a 3-year BA in Physics at Oxford:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/the-courses/3-year-ba-physics

It's also mentioned in the draft brochure for 2017 entry:
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2013-05-03/phys2017_draft5_web_pdf_50847.pdf
Reply 48
I've seen this as well, yet when you go on UCAS there is no option for a 3 year course.
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/the-courses/3-year-ba-physics

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2013-05-03/phys2017_draft5_web_pdf_50847.pdf
I've seen this as well, yet when you go on UCAS there is no option for a 3 year course.

Interesting... I can't find it on the UCAS course finder either...

I know that for a lot of science courses it doesn't make much of a difference whether you apply for a Bachelors or a Masters, since the final decision will be made at the end of your first/second year (this was the case for me anyway) and is conditional on your uni exam results. At Oxford, the first two years of the course is the same regardless of course length.

I see that the three-year course page has this to say: "Three written papers on the core topics plus a short option paper and practical work form the Part A exam at the end of the second year. Those who wish to take the four-year MPhys degree must meet a minimum standard comparable to a 2:1 honours in this exam."

It's worth checking yourself, or having your Higher Education coordinator check with a call to someone in admissions, but I suspect everyone intending to take the 3-year course will apply under the 4 year category.
Reply 50

If it's something you want to study it's best to e-mail them and ask about it :smile: I did that last academic cycle and got a. Ourse I really wanted to do added to UCAS, and then made it my insurance so am not going but that's not the point,
5 psychology offers from: UCL, Bath, Durham, Birmingham, Warwick. Firmed UCL insurance Warwick.

As: aaaab
A2 predicted/achieved: A*AA

Strong ps

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 offers:

Applied as 'gap year student' with A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and Art.

Unconditionals from Warwick and Bath (for Maths and Physics).
Durham wanted an A in further maths (applied for Natural Sciences). I firmed Warwick for Maths and Physics.

Got rejected after interviews at Cambridge (NatSci) and Imperial (Physics w/ Theoretical Physics). Both apparently due to hesitancy in the interviews, although I felt quite snappy in my Imperial interview :K:
4 offers, predicted 4 A*s
offers from Warwick, Bath, Cardiff and UCL, rejected after interview by oxford for physics
Got A*A*A*A, firmed warwick
Predicted grades; A*AA.

Got all five offers from; Warwick (FIRMED), Durham, KCL, Royal Holloway and Birmingham.
all 5 got in on an AAB course with BBB after getting an offer of ABB changing course two weeks before results day
I did a HND in Media and Communication and then applied for third year entry to university. I received four offers. Could have been five, but we found out after applying that Stirling wasn't accepting third year entry. My department head offered to phone Stirling and see if they would revise the offer for second year entry. Some of my classmates took her up on it (with success) but I didn't see the point in causing a fuss when it wasn't my top choice.

1. Glasgow Caledonian University: Media and Communication - Conditional: B.
2. Queen Margaret University: Film and Media - Conditional: B.
3. The University of Stirling: Film and Media - Rejected.
4. University of the West of Scotland: Broadcast Production - Conditional: B. Insurance.
5. University of the West of Scotland: Filmmaking and Screen Writing - Conditional: A. Firm.

This year I'm going through the UCAS process all over again (applying for first year entry this time!) and I'm terrified! I'm doing a HNC in Applied Sciences and self-teaching Higher Human Biology and intend to apply to universities to study Marine Science.*
Original post by Alex621

Durham wanted an A in further maths (applied for Natural Sciences). .

Those results are seriously amazing, good job.
How can they request an A in FM? Does that mean they want you to learn it in 1 year?
Also any tips for that A* in Physics mate?
Reply 58
All 5 offers - Exeter, Kent, UCL and Durham within a month, Bristol four months later. Now headed to UCL this Saturday for Fresher's :smile:

Original post by OGFakiie
I got AAA In my AS. Does anyone think I'll have a chance at imperial for Chem Eng. with predictions of A*AA, even though they require A*A*A?

You have a chance, although Imperial will be competitive.. Research the course (modules etc) and make sure you know what your strengths are - and make sure all this comes through in your PS.

Unis know predictions are just that - predictions - and that lots of people will exceed them (I did). Just make sure the rest of your application is impressive because competitive unis are less likely to make offers to people who don't quite meet their standards.
Predicted A*A*A (ended up with AAB whoopsie :wink: )

Got five offers; four for veterinary medicine at the Royal Veterinary College, Edinburgh, Bristol and Liverpool, and one more at Liverpool, think it was for animal science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending