Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

DEFRA Questions – 16 Sep 2016

ReputationRep:
    Order! Questions to the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs!

Departmental questions is an opportunity for members to put questions to ministers, in this case the Environment Secretary, the Rt Hon. adam9317 MP, who will answer your questions over the course of two days.

The relevant shadow minister, in this case SoggyCabbages MP, may ask two questions, with a follow-up question for each. MPs may ask one question, with one follow-up. Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-ups. I will intervene if members do not respect these rules.

Please keep the joke questions to a minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask Adam whether he still believes there is a place for traditional farming methods in the 21st century?

ReputationRep:
    I'm never really sure in the point of questions the day after an SoI is published.

With that said, what does the Secretary believe the role of the state in funding research into renewable energy methods is?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, Can the Secretary of State advise the House of the costs of the measures in the statement, and the time of implementation. Has the Chancellor agreed to fund them, as they were not in the Finance Bill?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

With winter and darker evenings on the horizon, will the government be taking measures in the near future to ensure that rural roads are safe in the coming months for those using smaller vehicles, such as bicycles and motorcycles, and kept black ice-free at peak commuter times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask Adam whether he still believes there is a place for traditional farming methods in the 21st century?
    Living in the countryside myself, I think traditional farming methods are wonderful; and how in the community the farms are passed down from generation to generation; but I must say with falling food prices, and a more competitive environment, quite simply the farmers need to use the most efficient method to be profitable, and be able to sell their goods; and regrettably I don't think 'traditional' methods can always do this!

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I'm never really sure in the point of questions the day after an SoI is published.

With that said, what does the Secretary believe the role of the state in funding research into renewable energy methods is?
    Ultimately, we need to place a high importance upon renewable methods, and realistically if we don't move forward, we will run out of resources, and the last thing we want is the lights to go out. In my eyes, this is a responsibility for the government, who will be blamed or who would in a way assume responsibility if they took no action; so yes I would place a high importance on funding research.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Speaker, Can the Secretary of State advise the House of the costs of the measures in the statement, and the time of implementation. Has the Chancellor agreed to fund them, as they were not in the Finance Bill?
    I thank my rt hon friend for his question; this is something that the govt and the chancellor are on board with; and the cost of the policies has been considered; with figures in due course.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Mr Speaker,

With winter and darker evenings on the horizon, will the government be taking measures in the near future to ensure that rural roads are safe in the coming months for those using smaller vehicles, such as bicycles and motorcycles, and kept black ice-free at peak commuter times?
    Yes, rural roads can be some of the most dangerous, and I can assure that we will be doing all in our power to ensure those using in smaller vehicles are as safe as possible, ensuring they have adequate visibility to ensure the number of road traffic collisions on our roads is minimised. Unfortunately quite simply we do not have the resources to grit/ keep black ice free every single road in the country, but I can assure you as well as the main roads, any frequently used roads in the countryside, or those roads in the countryside that are of particular importance to the community will be kept as safe as possible, especially during peak commuter times.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Access to high speed internet connection is an essential tool to a modern economy. Whilst our big cities have this tool in their toolbox, many but not all rural and countryside areas have substandard internet connection speed. What efforts can the Secretary of State make to improve this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sycatonne23)
    Mr Speaker,

Access to high speed internet connection is an essential tool to a modern economy. Whilst our big cities have this tool in their toolbox, many but not all rural and countryside areas have substandard internet connection speed. What efforts can the Secretary of State make to improve this?
    Mr Speaker, I thank the rt hon member for their question.

A fast, reliable internet connection is of fundamental importance to our communities up and down the countries, with many benefits to citizen's livelihoods and the economy; and as you point out too frequently the internet connection in our rural communities is not satisfactory, and we would look to work with providers of this service to ensure that we can build upon any existing work and help strive for the future that our rural communities has a fast and reliable internet connection speed that easily rivals that of our larger cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Living in the countryside myself, I think traditional farming methods are wonderful; and how in the community the farms are passed down from generation to generation; but I must say with falling food prices, and a more competitive environment, quite simply the farmers need to use the most efficient method to be profitable, and be able to sell their goods; and regrettably I don't think 'traditional' methods can always do this!
    Thank you for your answer. Would you ever consider offering subsidies to farmers who simply cannot afford the most efficient methods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Thank you for your answer. Would you ever consider offering subsidies to farmers who simply cannot afford the most efficient methods?
    This could be interesting; and something which I would not commit to at this stage but would like to look into further to see the possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    Rather, this question session has ended.

Updated: September 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.