Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a foreign student starting at Essex Uni this october but I still haven't locked in my housing situation yet as I was pretty late to sign up for on-campus accommodation.

So since I'm on the waiting list I might have to live in a private accommodation for the first few months.

Anyone here with experience of living in private accommodation in Colchester?

Is it generally good/bad? Any areas to recommend? Any areas to avoid?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egemundo)
    Hi,

I'm a foreign student starting at Essex Uni this october but I still haven't locked in my housing situation yet as I was pretty late to sign up for on-campus accommodation.

So since I'm on the waiting list I might have to live in a private accommodation for the first few months.

Thank you
    I think the uni will provide you with housing, they let x amount of students in, the first year get the on campus, the second get off campus, I assume you'll get off campus. I can't say which area's to avoid as I don't know it too well, anywhere with flats/estates, would be a good idea to avoid, but that's all I can advice really, pretty sure the uni will help u tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IronicalMan)
    I think the uni will provide you with housing, they let x amount of students in, the first year get the on campus, the second get off campus, I assume you'll get off campus. I can't say which area's to avoid as I don't know it too well, anywhere with flats/estates, would be a good idea to avoid, but that's all I can advice really, pretty sure the uni will help u tho.
    I believe I've been put on a waiting list right now for on-campus accommodation. Since I'm an international student I do believe they put me as "extra high priority" to find a place for me on campus before October though It's still not guaranteed that I will get one.

Gonna talk with SU LETS on monday was just gonna see here first if anyone have any experience with living in Colchester. Thanks for the advice about the flats!

ReputationRep:
    I believe I've been put on a waiting list right now for on-campus accommodation. Since I'm an international student though I do believe they put me as "high priority" to offer a place for me on campus before October though It's not guaranteed that I will get one.

Gonna talk with SU LETS on monday was just gonna see here first if anyone had any advice or experience with living in Colchester first. Thanks for the advice about the flats
    Yeah I don't mean the flats on campus though I can safely assume you realize I didn't mean that, you know, council area's/poor area's. Obviously don't walk down alleys on your own at night etc. I make the UK sound really bad... But chavs are a problem as the police are useless in this country.
    You'll get somewhere. They let x amount of international in, so assuming Essex thinks things through, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you
    I'm in the exact same predicament! Have you heard from SULETS yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!!

I am looking for a student to move into my room at the Meadows, Cole House.

Have you found somebody yet to take the contract over? I would like to move out of campus to live in WIvenhoe.

The transfer of contract would be on the 25th October, which is what the uni allows.

Diana

ReputationRep:
    I believe I've been put on a waiting list right now for on-campus accommodation. Since I'm an international student I do believe they put me as "extra high priority" to find a place for me on campus before October though It's still not guaranteed that I will get one.

Gonna talk with SU LETS on monday was just gonna see here first if anyone have any experience with living in Colchester. Thanks for the advice about the flats!
    Egemundo, have found anything yet? I would like to leave my on-campus accomodation (The Meadows). This means you can skip that waiting list

Please let me know if you are interested.

Diana

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dianilina)
    Egemundo, have found anything yet? I would like to leave my on-campus accomodation (The Meadows). This means you can skip that waiting list

Please let me know if you are interested.

Diana
    Hi Diana

Yes I would be very interested! Ive sent you a message

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.