The Student Room Group

How to change application to get ONLY the loan money, not the grant money too?

I failed 1 module in my 1st year, spent the last year retaking that module but still failed it, and so am getting kicked out off uni. :frown:

I am scheduled to get my student loan + grant money on 19th September though.
Am gna be getting £2,154 loan + £1,268 grant.

However I know that as soon as I inform student finance that im not gna be continuing with the degree (will tell them once ive got the money in my bank) i will have to repay that grant money instantly.
However whatever loan money i get i get to keep, and its just tossed onto the normal outstanding loan debt amount.

I know that if you get a grant, your loan amount is reduced by a certain amount in accordance with the grant.
But cos the grant will be of no value to me i would love to just withdraw from getting any grant, and instead get maybe just £2,600 - £3,000 loan instead.

Ive looked on my SF account but there was only option there to chance the tuition fee loan or maintenance loan amounts,
not the grant though. :frown:

But does anyone know how to do this please?
Reply 1
If it is possible to do this so near to receipt of SFE payment, at the very least your initial instalment will be delayed while the new details are processed.

However, I don't imagine that this is possible. Surely it would trigger query as to why you would want to do this? Furthermore, doesn't the university have to confirm your attendance/re-enrolment during the first week of the academic year to trigger release of your SFE payment?
Reply 2
I don't understand why you don't want the maintenance grant, you don't pay it back unless you leave the course I think.
You'd have to be pay back some of the loan instantly. The loan is meant to last you up until your next instalment. (around January) If you drop out before then, you have to pay back any overpaid loan.

What you're doing makes no sense at all.
Reply 4
Original post by W. A. Mozart
You don't repay grants, it's a non-repayable fund.

Also, why are you planning to tell SFE that you're going to drop out after receiving the money?

I gather that the OP is talking about the upcoming installments and wants to drop out after the installments are received to get the extra money. OP wants as much as possible and thinks that although they'll ask for the overpaid grant back straightaway, they won't ask for the loan straightaway.

Original post by Ishax
I don't understand why you don't want the maintenance grant, you don't pay it back unless you leave the course I think.

OP is leaving the course.

Original post by Spanish868
I failed 1 module in my 1st year, spent the last year retaking that module but still failed it, and so am getting kicked out off uni. :frown:

Am gna be getting £2,154 loan + £1,268 grant.

However I know that as soon as I inform student finance that im not gna be continuing with the degree (will tell them once ive got the money in my bank) i will have to repay that grant money instantly.
However whatever loan money i get i get to keep, and its just tossed onto the normal outstanding loan debt amount.

I know that if you get a grant, your loan amount is reduced by a certain amount in accordance with the grant.
But cos the grant will be of no value to me i would love to just withdraw from getting any grant, and instead get maybe just £2,600 - £3,000 loan instead.

Ive looked on my SF account but there was only option there to chance the tuition fee loan or maintenance loan amounts,
not the grant though. :frown:

But does anyone know how to do this please?

Your university has probably already notified SFE and it'll be in processing, or at the very least won't notify them of your attendance to send your fees through. Though I would keep a lookout on your bank account if you haven't yet received a letter confirming the cancellation of the upcoming installments.

I'm not a 100% sure on this, but if the installments do get through, you might not receive funding again until the overpayments are repaid, though that could just be the grant. Also it might take up another year of your funding entitlement, which could be disastrous if you take up studies in the future as it's not as if this installment is the whole year's worth.

I understand the difficult situation you are in. If you expect to be having money troubles, you may wish to ask for advice in new thread. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RVNmax

OP is leaving the course.

Oh okay, when OP leaves the course student finance will ask for maintenance grant to be paid back. I'm not too sure about the tuition fee loan though.
(edited 7 years ago)
They will ask for immediate repayment of any overpaid Maintenance Loan and Grant. The Tuition Fee Loan will be added to the repayment schedule (it could be less than a full year's worth). Best to cancel it before you start eating into a 2nd year of payment of you think there is any possibility of you wanting to go back to uni in the future.
Reply 7
Original post by Spanish868

You won't get that money.

The payment is triggered when your uni contacts SF to confirm that you have enrolled/registered for your next academic year. As they are throwing you out, they will not do that and SF will not release any of your funding.

Am as soon as I inform student finance that im not gna be continuing with the degree

As above, the process does not depend on you. It's handled between the uni and SF. If you never told SF that you had left, the uni will, and you will still not get the money.

You've been misinformed.

You are only entitled to SF whilst you are a student. Any money paid which is intended to cover you whilst a student - whether grant or loan - will have to be immediately repaid from your official leaving date.

Even if there are two errors (one by the uni and one by SF) and you get the money due on the 19th, both the loan and grant will be repayable in full, immediately, as you will not have been a student for any of the period which those payments cover.

This is based on faulty information. You cannot legitimately get either, and if uni/SF processes work correctly, then you will not get either.

Quick Reply