Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am about to start a course in Mechanical Engineering at the University Of Leeds. To be honest I chose Leeds because, after I was rejected by Imperial College, it was the one option I had selected that was still in the top 5 for my subject. However now that I am here all I hear is how Leeds is a great student town and the general impression of Leeds on the internet is that it's more for those who enjoy going out and partying. I have nothing against those who enjoy such things, and don't get me wrong I also enjoy the occasional trip to a bar, however I feel that I am much more academically focused in life. I can't help but feel that when I tell people that I went to Leeds, their immediate impression would be to consider me less academic than those students in universities who, although lower down on the tables for my subject, are more academically renowned. Have I made a mistake with my choice of university?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sir Fausty)
    I am about to start a course in Mechanical Engineering at the University Of Leeds. To be honest I chose Leeds because, after I was rejected by Imperial College, it was the one option I had selected that was still in the top 5 for my subject. However now that I am here all I hear is how Leeds is a great student town and the general impression of Leeds on the internet is that it's more for those who enjoy going out and partying. I have nothing against those who enjoy such things, and don't get me wrong I also enjoy the occasional trip to a bar, however I feel that I am much more academically focused in life. I can't help but feel that when I tell people that I went to Leeds, their immediate impression would be to consider me less academic than those students in universities who, although lower down on the tables for my subject, are more academically renowned. Have I made a mistake with my choice of university?
    This is an extremely odd way of seeing things, but if you're not happy at Leeds, at this stage, going somewhere else would probably be a better option.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're overthinking things. Most of the best unis are in great student cities, it really doesn't affect how people perceive you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.