Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The thing is (and this is really embarrasing), my parents are willing to see that I live really comfortably (and they'll pay generously for anything I need). The only catch is that, they are real control freaks and they want to see whatever I spend (like they'd scour thru every bank statement)... they want me to have sort of a joint bank account with either of them.

The only way for me to get a bit of privacy is to take out a loan. I've worked out roughly how much uni will cost me and its far more than the £3000 I'm entitled to. What can I do (my uni doesn't let me work during term times) ?????????

ReputationRep:
    You are really quite fortunate to be in the postion where your parents can afford to help out at all.

I would give all my privacy to not have had to work at tesco.

why don't you get your parents to pay for the food, accommodation, fees, etc, and use your loan for other stuff...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)
    You are really quite fortunate to be in the postion where your parents can afford to help out at all.

I would give all my privacy to not have had to work at tesco.
    yeah but if you were in my position you wouldn't have a social life coz you'd be reporting to your parents half the time and telling them why you had to spend this amount of money on that thingy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    why don't you get your parents to pay for the food, accommodation, fees, etc, and use your loan for other stuff...?
    They wouldn't want me to take out a loan in the first place... me taking out a loan is, dare I say, a form rebelling against them. They won't give me anything if they see that i take out a loan... and you cant possibly hide £3000... my mum opens my letters (bank statements) and sort of sticks it together thinking that I wouldn't notice!

ReputationRep:
    Dude, if this is the way you feel then have a word with them (your parents). If you can discuss the issue with the masses online, then you should definately be able to talk to them about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -al)
    Dude, if this is the way you feel then have a word with them (your parents). If you can discuss the issue with the masses online, then you should definately be able to talk to them about it.
    Yeah you need to explain that you are old enough now for them to be able to trust you to make your own decisions.

BTW which uni you going to that won't let you work?

(Original post by gollum)
    They won't give me anything if they see that i take out a loan... and you cant possibly hide £3000... my mum opens my letters (bank statements) and sort of sticks it together thinking that I wouldn't notice!

There is something in the above quote that is GROSSELY illegal....anyone spot it??

ReputationRep:
    my mum opens my letters (bank statements) and sort of sticks it together thinking that I wouldn't notice!
    Doing that, she is breaking the law. You really need to sit down and talk about your need for privacy and independence (not in an aggressive way though, as I'm sure that both your parents have your best interests at heart).

EDIT: Damn Leekey! You beat me to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -al)
    i can talk to you guys real freely, firstly coz I don't really know any of you and can remain anonymous behind a silly screen name. Secondly, you people can relate to my circumstance a whole lot better than my parents!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dam)

BTW which uni you going to that won't let you work?
    Oxford univesity

ReputationRep:
    Oxford univesity

i have a sollution.....open a new bank account...get your loan to go into that...and have it regestered straight to your college address. that way they will never know.

and never ever mention it...

or you could open a internet account- that way you dont even get statements....smile offer a good student deal!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    i have a sollution.....open a new bank account...get your loan to go into that...and have it regestered straight to your college address. that way they will never know.

or you could open a internet account- that way you dont even get statements....smile offer a good student deal!

love Katy ***
    Yep, I was going to say that too... it's rather easy, and you'll get interest back on your loan too, which will help when paying it back.

ReputationRep:
    lol dam, i pity you, i worked at tesco as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byb3)
    lol dam, i pity you, i worked at tesco as well.
    Me too - it's not the nicest job around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)

love Katy ***
    cheers, can you suggest an internet account?

ReputationRep:
    cheers, can you suggest an internet account?
    I have an Abbey National e-saver account for my savings. Its got a fairly good interest rate, though I haven't compared it to any similar account recently.

Don't you think you should tell you parents? You'll need a loan whether they help you out or not. Say to your parents that it would be helpful if they gave you enough to cover your tuition fees and accomodation, and maybe give you a little bit each week for food or something, but explain that you want to take out a loan, to be more independant, so that you have money to spend on essential things like stationary, clothes and food when you need it and if need be. Otherwise, you'll have to call them up every week asking for money which is just hassle, really, and adds to your phone bill!!!

Hope that helps!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2003
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.