Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I get my school to enter me for an exam I don't currently study? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Basically I dropped a GCSE and I go to a different school once a week to do occupational studies and I want to drop that as well but I really do not want to have two GCSEs missing so I was thinking of doing a course that requires no coursework such as Religious Studies.

    I have asked the school this and they have said no as legally I need a teacher to teach me the subject and there are none available because they all have classes to teach which is fine because I completely understand but as long as they supply me with the suitable work and revision material, I will do this at home corresponding to the specification.

    I have thought about asking another school to enter me for an exam but I really do not want to pay like £70 just for that when my own school can do it for me for free but are being stubborn and won't do it because I'm not being taught the course by a teacher and they say that's a legal requirement but I don't think it is, there's nothing to say you have to be taught before you can sit an exam in that subject, obviously it would be ideal that you are taught but I am sure it can be done if I stick at it.

    Can I ask for my school's exams officer to enter me for an exam? I already do entry level Religious Studies but I'm not sure how that works because surely it's recognised as a different qualification so it wouldn't affect me doing GCSE RE? Thanks.

    They can't deny you if you're willing to pay- they may have meant that they can't enter you for free if a teacher hasn't taught you, which actually does make sense because they fear that you may not have been taught properly if someone at school hasn't taught you so would not want to pay that money for you to take the exams. But if you tell them you'll pay they should be able to arrange a place for you, ask your exams officer about that

    Unless they've recently changed the law then the legal argument they've used is nonsense. I took a GCSE without having lessons in it..

    Utter rubbish. The school can enter you for any exam as long as they are approved by the particular exam board. If that qualification has a coursework element they may be unwilling/unable to mark the coursework and so may not enter you for this reason. If it is exam only there is no reason not to enter you, however they CAN refuse. They are not legally obliged to enter you just because you want to do a particular exam - that said there is no real reason for them not to - especially if you are willing to pay.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

    Study tools


    Essay expert

    Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

    Thinking about uni already?

    Thinking about uni already?

    See where you can apply with our uni match tool

    Student chat

    Ask a question

    Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


    Make study resources

    Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


    Create your own Study Plan

    Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

    Resources by subject

    From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


    Find past papers

    100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

    Help out other students

    Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.