Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm going to make a personal savings account today. I have no idea if this means we have to pay tax or interest on savings account. I earn 23k but I've never had a savings account before. And I only recently started working.

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Your first £1000 is tax free.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that you only pay tax on savings if you're getting over £1000 (I think this changes with your income tax band) in interest per year from it? And if you're earning under a certain amount you don't pay any tax on savings at all.

ReputationRep:
    From April 2016, there's a new personal savings allowance. Interest on savings is tax free, to a threshold of £1,000 for basic-rate (20%) taxpayers, and £500 for those who pay higher-rate tax. Tax will no longer be deducted by your bank or building society and all interest will be paid gross.

ReputationRep:
    So if I made a savings account it should be tax free???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahsez)
    So if I made a savings account it should be tax free???
    Pretty much, as you'd have to have A LOT of money in savings in order to reach the threshold of interest earnings in which you would have to pay tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahsez)
    Hi I'm going to make a personal savings account today. I have no idea if this means we have to pay tax or interest on savings account. I earn 23k but I've never had a savings account before. And I only recently started working.

Thanks.
    In the current interest rate environment you'd need to have £20k in an account paying 5% interest to be taxed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.