Turn on thread page Beta

When you read a book.... watch

ReputationRep:
    When you are reading a book, does your language alter and you find yourself using a similar speech to that in the book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    When you are reading a book, does your language alter and you find yourself using a similar speech to that in the book?
    what do you mean?

like if its a book set in texas i get all texas-y ?

no. not really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    what do you mean?

like if its a book set in texas i get all texas-y ?

no. not really
    Not like that, I suppose I should have better explained myself. Since I am in the midst of reading the middle earth books I have adopted the language pattern used in it.

ReputationRep:
    Not like that, I suppose I should have better explained myself. Since I am in the midst of reading the middle earth books I have adopted the language pattern used in it.
    Ive never had that but i do end up changing the way i speak slightly depending on the accent/dialect of whoever im talking to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Ive never had that but i do end up changing the way i speak slightly depending on the accent/dialect of whoever im talking to.
    I kind of do that, especially when I am in mackam land.

ReputationRep:
    generally when i read it, its as if I am reading it outloud but in my head if that makes sense. i adopt the different tones for different people and the pauses in their speech etc. but i suppose its how I, personally, have interpreted the book and its characters to talk like. it must be different for each people's reading of a book...

I only started using the word 'dwelling' having read most of LotR i suppose. I'm glad i don't talk entirely like it though or i'd talk a day to say every sentence i ever make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I only started using the word 'dwelling' having read most of LotR i suppose. I'm glad i don't talk entirely like it though or i'd talk a day to say every sentence i ever make.
    I have just dubbed the subscribers as the subscriberhrim.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i sometimes start reading in a different accent
    i depends what sort of book it is though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firdy)
    yeh i sometimes start reading in a different accent
    i depends what sort of book it is though
    I remember doing that when reading roll of thunger, hear my cry, It was quite comical hearing me trying to talk in a mississippi accent.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I think I know what you mean but no. I may have picked up a few words from the book itself and integrated it in my speech but that's as far as it goes.

ReputationRep:
    To a large extent, I have acquired my English through reading fairly complex and analytical history books, and I quite clearly feel that I have adopted the tone and style of these books. Unless I read something I find extremely intriguing and fascinating though, a single book does not tend to have a significantly large impact on my language.

ReputationRep:
    Yes...for example after I read pride and prejudice awhile back, I started speaking ridiculously maturely. I find my mind is like a sponge when it comes to acquiring different words/phrases from the books I read..It'll soak it all up whilst I'm reading, but eventually the sponge dries up and the beautiful new words are lost. The solution: to never stop reading hehe.

ReputationRep:
    No. Silly.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose. All the Indian literature I read does seem to have integrated some hindi words into my vocabulary. Also, sometimes, just for fun, I speak in iambic pentameter, but no-one seems to notice.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.