Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit that I felt repulsed by the idea of legalising heroin but the more I watched the programme the more it convinced me.

Basically the war on drugs is becoming too big for the police to handle. When a drug dealer is arrested, 3, 5, or possibly more people step forward to take their place. The prisons are almost full of drug addicts or people who have committed drug related crimes. Plus it's likely that when the drug addicts do come out of jail they go back to their old self-destructive ways. Also on a moral point, I think the law is too black and white in terms of possession of illegal drugs. You might as well send a struggling alcoholic to jail.

When people think of legalising heroin they often think of those greedy companies which will grow it and sell it. I don't think that this should happen. Instead what the programme intended by legalising heroin was to prevent drug addicts from being sent to jail. The presenter wanted the NHS to have a sort of monopoly on heroin except that it would be completely free. This not only puts a lot of the drug dealers out of business but it will prevent heroin users from resorting to begging, prostitution, mugging and other dangerous activities to continue their habit. It will also prevent transmissions of STDs and they will have the best chances of overcoming their addiction. I also think that heroin should be seen as a health issue not as a criminal one- treat it like a disease. Maybe there ought to be anti-heroin campaigns just like the ones for tobacco. And where would this money come from? Well I guess the police won't need the billions of pounds they use on the "war on drugs." In addition this method has been tried in Sweden, I think or somewhere else in Europe, and they experienced something like an 80% drop in numbers of drug users.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    What? That we shouldn't stand in the way of someone being happy if they're not doing us any harm?
    The point I've been making is that they are doing us harm, if indirectly.

ReputationRep:
    This vexes me. Why does channel 4 even broadcast something like that. No way. No way. That is some stupid **** - yes lets give them more reasons to stay an addict and more reasons to be a junkie, rather than support we turn to - oh to hell with it. Thats the mentality nations. Well to hell with them then!

ReputationRep:
    What was it called and is it on 4od?

ReputationRep:
    I assume you watched it? I just did and I must say it had me in tears, I can't understand how some people can just sit in their little safe bubble away from the real world and pretend this isn't happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    Speaking as someone who has lost a friend to the darker London scene I'm with Lib. If it was available to an addict from somewhere clean and with a measured ammount and not cut with brick dust or horse tranqs then alot less people would die.
    This isn't about teenagers going into the newsagents 'Oi mate, I'll 'ave 20 Mayfair, a bottle of vodka and how much is your smack?' It's about people who are already users who can get real help without resorting to methadone or coming off cold turkey. It's a pointless argument on here anyway, tsr is full of middle-class tory gits who if the higher ups told them ****ting was banned they'd all rush to get their arses sewn up.
    LOL, hilarious post! To + rep.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.