Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It was my first day at Uni yesterday and I was quite surprised at how confident everyone was to meet new people. I'm way too shy to go into a crowd of people and introduce myself. I really do want to make friends but I don't know how to come out of my shell. The lack of diversity is also a huge change. Please suggest tips to get rid of all this anxiety and tips on how to build confidence? I would really appreciate that. Thank you so much for your help.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by veganing)
    It was my first day at Uni yesterday and I was quite surprised at how confident everyone was to meet new people. I'm way too shy to go into a crowd of people and introduce myself. I really do want to make friends but I don't know how to come out of my shell. The lack of diversity is also a huge change. Please suggest tips to get rid of all this anxiety and tips on how to build confidence? I would really appreciate that. Thank you so much for your help.
    Start off small, maybe strike up conversations with flatmates over offering them a cup of tea or a biscuit or something or speak to small groups of people whilst waiting for lectures.

ReputationRep:
    It gets easier, be patient. The first few days are very artificial, and then it all settles down once the teaching is properly underway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by veganing)
    Hello ,

If you have 'anxiety' generally, there isn't a way to 'get rid' of it unfortunately, there are only ways to deal with it overall. However, if it's just anxiety that's built up because of the new experience, that could be a different story!

I'd suggest starting off small - just talking to people in your flat or on your course. Just a couple of people at a time and from making friends, they'll introduce you to your friends etc.

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.