Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2 interviews, 1 for a former employer (preferred). Should I say they're preferred? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have two interviews, one for a job with former employer which I prefer.

The former employer will know I'm applying for the other company because the other company has asked for references.

How should I handle the situation if my former employer asks about the other company? Should I say I'm obviously applying to keep my options open but prefer them?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidCryztal)
    I have two interviews, one for a job with former employer which I prefer.

The former employer will know I'm applying for the other company because the other company has asked for references.

How should I handle the situation if my former employer asks about the other company? Should I say I'm obviously applying to keep my options open but prefer them?
    If an employer knows or asks about other applications, you ALWAYS tell them very clearly they are the preferred option and give a reason why. So 'Yes, I have put an application in with company X as a back up, but this is very much my first choice because I've enjoyed working here so much and I'd like to advance in this role in an organisation I like so much' - or similar, short but positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If an employer knows or asks about other applications, you ALWAYS tell them very clearly they are the preferred option and give a reason why. So 'Yes, I have put an application in with company X as a back up, but this is very much my first choice because I've enjoyed working here so much and I'd like to advance in this role in an organisation I like so much' - or similar, short but positive.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Would it be appropriate to also say something to the effect of "If I were to be offered a position with this company again, I would withdraw my application from the other company" to reinforce my point? This is assuming that my preferred company makes an offer before I interview with the other one, which may happen due to the interview dates.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiquidCryztal)
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Would it be appropriate to also say something to the effect of "If I were to be offered a position with this company again, I would withdraw my application from the other company" to reinforce my point? This is assuming that my preferred company makes an offer before I interview with the other one, which may happen due to the interview dates.
    Just don't make a meal of it, it's one of those classic cases where, if you sounds to earnest it can generate more distrust. I'd say one or the other, not both, and I'd tend not to say I'd do something like withdraw, unless I absolutely 100% would regardless of pay negotiations etc (but I'm at a different career level)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Just don't make a meal of it, it's one of those classic cases where, if you sounds to earnest it can generate more distrust. I'd say one or the other, not both, and I'd tend not to say I'd do something like withdraw, unless I absolutely 100% would regardless of pay negotiations etc (but I'm at a different career level)
    Hmm at my level the salary is fixed for both positions and not negotiable.

I would 100% take an offer from my former employer over the other company and the offer would very likely come in before I even did the other companies interview. I applied for the other company before this role (which I had been keeping an eye on) became available.

I was thinking I'd just explain this situation, easily explain my preference for the company because I've been there before and then hope that the interviewer would clearly understand me saying I'd withdraw from other application processes if made an offer. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    If it were me, I wouldn't mention it, but if they do want to talk about it, tell them how much you would prefer working for your former employer because you've had experience with them etc, but say that the other job was just a back up in case, and say you applied for it before the preferred role became available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RallySPORT)
    If it were me, I wouldn't mention it, but if they do want to talk about it, tell them how much you would prefer working for your former employer because you've had experience with them etc, but say that the other job was just a back up in case, and say you applied for it before the preferred role became available.
    I wouldn't bring it up unless I was asked. But what you wrote is exactly what happened and what I would plan to tell them.

ReputationRep:
    don't bring it up if it's not mentioned... they probably won't get a reference request until you get an offer from a potential employer anyway, most people only check references once they've made a decision

if they do then say they are your preference

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.