Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's disgusting that employers can pay under 18's whatever they like.

Chip shops charging 16 year olds £2.50 an hour. Or a cafe charging a 14 year old £2.30 an hour. Slave labour.

Why are those under 18 not entitled to have a minimum pay? Do they not do as good as a job as their elders?

I'll put that one to Mr. Blair. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Personally I think it's disgusting that employers can pay under 18's whatever they like.

Chip shops charging 16 year olds £2.50 an hour. Or a cafe charging a 14 year old £2.30 an hour. Slave labour.

Why are those under 18 not entitled to have a minimum pay? Do they not do as good as a job as their elders?

It's to discourage people from leaving school at 16.

Oh: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3512362.stm

From october minimum wage for 16/17 year olds will be £3.00.

Not great, but it's a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    It's to discourage people from leaving school at 16.

Oh: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3512362.stm

From october minimum wage for 16/17 year olds will be £3.00.

Not great, but it's a start.
    I see, but that's pretty stupid seeing as lots of young people work weekends and holidays yet still go to school and intend to go into further education. Young folk still want to work, whether the government likes it or not.

£3.00 is definitely a start, but the government needs to accept 15 year olds get jobs too and get paid so little. They could add a law about not working on school days if they a bothered about young folk leaving education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)

Absolutely its a ridiculous state of affairs. I cant think of a decent reason why people should be paid different wages according to age, its just as unfair as paying different wages depending on gender.

ReputationRep:
    I thought there was a minimum wage for 16 year olds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I thought there was a minimum wage for 16 year olds?
    Yes, its about half that of 18 year olds. Why? who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Absolutely its a ridiculous state of affairs. I cant think of a decent reason why people should be paid different wages according to age, its just as unfair as paying different wages depending on gender.
    probably because they can't do the same amount of work as someone 18 or above, also you can't expose them to a dangerous enviroment i think (i know this from Bristol Uni you can't apply for eng courses if you won't be 18 by the start of term because the legal side of things is too much of a hassle)

ReputationRep:
    From october I believe 16 year olds will get a minum wage but I think its only somthing like £3.60 an hour but thats still better than what we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    probably because they can't do the same amount of work as someone 18 or above, also you can't expose them to a dangerous enviroment i think (i know this from Bristol Uni you can't apply for eng courses if you won't be 18 by the start of term because the legal side of things is too much of a hassle)
    They can and do do the same amount of work as those 18 or above. Should they be incapable of doing the same hours then they will be paid less as they work less, however this is no reason to pay them less per hour. Everyone who works part time while in school or full time before 18 is paid less than their peers who do the same load/shift but happen to be older. Its inexcusable.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it has to do with tax too. When I was 16/17 I was on £x an hour and when I was 18 (still in the same part time job) I was on £y an hour. After being taxed, my £y an hour was just the same as £x an hour. So I ended up with the same in ma pocket either way.

ReputationRep:
    They can and do do the same amount of work as those 18 or above. Should they be incapable of doing the same hours then they will be paid less as they work less, however this is no reason to pay them less per hour. Everyone who works part time while in school or full time before 18 is paid less than their peers who do the same load/shift but happen to be older. Its inexcusable.
    It is excusable, on the premis that 18 year olds are independent, and 16/17 year olds are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    It is excusable, on the premis that 18 year olds are independent, and 16/17 year olds are not.
    How does this make it excusable? You could just as easily say that for Men / Women.

ReputationRep:
    How does this make it excusable? You could just as easily say that for Men / Women.
    Not really, what he's saying is that 16/17 year olds tend to live at home more than 18 and up.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, what he's saying is that 16/17 year olds tend to live at home more than 18 and up.
    In the same way women tend to live with their boyfriends/ husbands. Even disregarding that its inexscusable, what the hell does it matter that 16 year olds tend to live at home more often than an 18 year old? why should they be paid less for equal work?

ReputationRep:
    What annoyed me was when i saw an advert in a bakers that was advertising a post and had something like this written on it
    over 18-£4.50per hour
    under18-£3.50 per hour.

It may discourage people from leaving schools but many people are looking for saturday jobs and it's clearly unfair.

ReputationRep:
    In the same way women tend to live with their boyfriends/ husbands. Even disregarding that its inexscusable, what the hell does it matter that 16 year olds tend to live at home more often than an 18 year old? why should they be paid less for equal work?
    They shouldn't, I never said they should. I don't think that the minimum wage should be lower for under 18s. I just think this at least is a step in the right direction, better than no minimum wage, right?

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't, I never said they should. I don't think that the minimum wage should be lower for under 18s. I just think this at least is a step in the right direction, better than no minimum wage, right?
    Yes its better than no minimum wage, it still doesnt make sense though. Theres no justification for paying different wages within the same company for the same work carried out by someone of the same station simply because of their date of birth, i cant stress enough how ridiculous i find this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its better than no minimum wage, it still doesnt make sense though. Theres no justification for paying different wages within the same company for the same work carried out by someone of the same station simply because of their date of birth, i cant stress enough how ridiculous i find this.
    Don't worry, as long as the Conservatives don't get in power soon eventually it'll all even out.

ReputationRep:
    I found out the other day that one of my co-workers gets paid more than me, and it pisses me off. We do the same work, started at the same time, and our quality, as far as it can be measured is the same. He was offered more money because another company wanted him, but I quit a job for this one. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why there should be this distinctive difference. There are problems with when you reach 'adulthood', this doesn't help.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.