Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What activities (extra-curricular, if possible), are valued by universities/employers (to make you seem 'well-rounded')?

Like DofE for example.

Obviously theres things in work experience that adds edge to a uni application.

Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    What activities (extra-curricular, if possible), are valued by universities/employers (to make you seem 'well-rounded'?

Like DofE for example.

Thanks.
    What is it you re applying for?

ReputationRep:
    claireestelle - Nothing at this present moment, but will be soon. Just asking thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What activities (extra-curricular, if possible), are valued by universities/employers (to make you seem 'well-rounded')?

Like DofE for example.

Thanks.
    Besides DofE, being part of the student council/ambassador programmes show strong leadership skills

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Thank you

Ah yes. I've been in the student council in my primary school, ambassador during GCSE years and done Mock Trials twice as well (hopefully now thrice). I've also done the World Maths Day thing for my primary school and came in the top leaderboard. I've done lots of other things too!

ReputationRep:
    Jazzy97
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    claireestelle - Nothing at this present moment, but will be soon. Just asking thanks!
    It would depend on the subject really, some degrees you can get into just by showing enthusiasm for your subject rather than using up space in your personal statement on mentioning extra curricular, medicine and other professional degrees will be ones where extra curriculars need mentioning.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Okay. I'm looking for general and then subject specific feedback, please! Planning on going into Dentistry.

ReputationRep:
    claireestelle ^
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    claireestelle ^
    Get stuck into as much work experience and volunteering as possible for dentistry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks claireestelle - yeah, I've got a few ideas!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think DofE is a waste of time, as such huge levels of participation devalue its merit as a differentiator.

I'd much rather see something that a self-starter had done, motivated by their own interests, and accomplished independently.

DofE teaches you a lot about your relationship with your friends. I'd rather discover more about the individual, and what makes them unique.

ReputationRep:
    Gold, frankincense, and murrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    I think DofE is a waste of time, as such huge levels of participation devalue its merit as a differentiator.

I'd much rather see something that a self-starter had done, motivated by their own interests, and accomplished independently.

DofE teaches you a lot about your relationship with your friends. I'd rather discover more about the individual, and what makes them unique.
    I agree tbh, but we are talking in terms of work, and employers need someone that can step into a work full of colleagues and help lead/motivate so evidence of self starting isn't exactly the best thing in comparison to DofE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.