The Student Room Group

how late can you start learning a language for gcse?

basically the title, im curious
The start of year11
Reply 2
Programming language or ?
Reply 3
no clue, I started French in year4 sooo... :smile:
Original post by wydyoongi
basically the title, im curious

MFL? Probably the beginning of Year 10. A school could you let you start in the beginning of Year 11 but I doubt it.
At GCSE level, you don't need to 'know' the language as such but merely need an understanding of its basic grammar principles and a good memory for vocab. Controlled Assessments (when I did mine last year) were simply a memory test; the exams were fine for anyone who learned the vocab from the lists given by the board.

Someone with decent aptitude for memorising vocab could definitely pass the GCSE after starting in year 11, although I'm not sure what sort of grade they would get. :tongue:
Reply 6
Thanks guys, that helped a lot. And yes, i was talking about MLF for GCSE
Reply 7
so right now, i'm in year 10- do u think it would be possible to start learning french from scratch?
Reply 8
so right now, i'm in year 10- do u think it would be possible to start learning french from scratch?

I started spanish in mid year 9, didn't do anything over the holidays then started learning but at home in year 10, www.memrise.com is very helpful. I am not from the UK so i was just completely new to the subject with no primary school teaching at all. And here I am in year 11 set one, and got an A in speaking, and A* in listening and A in reading. All you need is very strong determination, hardwork
and blessings from above. Good luck, it is possible
Reply 9
Original post by GcSe KiD
I started spanish in mid year 9, didn't do anything over the holidays then started learning but at home in year 10, www.memrise.com is very helpful. I am not from the UK so i was just completely new to the subject with no primary school teaching at all. And here I am in year 11 set one, and got an A in speaking, and A* in listening and A in reading. All you need is very strong determination, hardwork
and blessings from above. Good luck, it is possible

thank you so much! this was really motivational :smile: i guess all i need is some hard work and a lot of patience
thank you so much! this was really motivational :smile: i guess all i need is some hard work and a lot of patience

Indeed and no problem

Quick Reply