Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by cloisters)

I hope you understand my confusion and any help would be appreciated.
    Not entirely sure what's confusing you, sorry!

But: A is defined as \displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} f(x_n) \delta x (i.e: summing up small rectangles underneath the curve and taking the width tending to 0). So x_n are N equidistant points spaced throughout [a,b] and \delta x = x_n - x_{n-1}.

If your confusion is the indefinite integral, then it is just \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int^x f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t where the bottom limit is arbitrary, but it still comes down to area underneath a curve f(t) from a general starting point to a given point x.

Hi, sorry I should have made myself clearer: the latter is what is confusing me, in other words what does an indefinite integral represent? I can see that \int_a^b y dx is the area under the curve from a to b: what is \int y dx? I have tried to understand your post but I have some questions: if it is the lower bound is arbitrary for an indefinite integral then wouldn't \int ydx=\inf (infinitely large) for say y=e^{-x}?

Arbitrary just means that it doesn't matter. So if you want define \int y \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^x f(t) \, \mathrm{d}t, i.e: the integral from any point you want a to a general point x.

Not sure what you mean by the infinitely large bit, we're not quite working with improper integrals just yet, we're trying to wrap our heads around normal integrals, so the lower arbitrary bound has to be a real number (so not infinity) which means that \int y dx will never be infinitely large.

Sorry, just being honest here but I still don't get it: wouldn't \int_a^x f(x) dx=f(a,x)? I do sort of understand what you mean by \int f(x) dx being the area under the curve from an arbitrary point to x but I'm completely failing to connect this to the fact that \int f(x)dx is a one-variable function.
    Yes, indeed! Which is precisely why when you integrate a function say f(x) = x you don't just get something involving x, you also get an arbitrary constant - which appears precisely because of that arbitrary lower bound.

So, by the definition: \int x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^x t \, \mathrm{d}t = \frac{t^2}{2} \bigg]_a^x = \frac{x^2}{2} - \frac{a^2}{2}, but the latter is just an arbitrary constant, so the same thing as \frac{x^2}{2} + c.

Although it's a bit weird writing f(a,x) since a is a constant. Kind of like referring to x^2 + 1 = f(x,1).

Ah completely forgot about the constant - should've followed cgp's advice and got a +C stamp lol. But very interesting, I never thought of +C as being related to the indefinite integral like that although it makes complete sense in hindsight. Thank you very much!
    You're welcome!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.