Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Maths at university, and my parents and friends think I should apply to Oxford, but I'm not sure they realise just how competitive it is and how good you have to be to get in.

I got 7A* and 6A at GCSE, have just got AAABC at AS Level, and am continuing with the three subjects I got As in (Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry), and my predicted grades for this year are A*A*A, but i think I will likely only get A*AA. I am also currently doing some MAT preparation, in case I do decide to apply, and have just finished writing my personal statement. Maths is something I am really passionate about (don't worry, I didn't use the word "passionate" in my statement), and I have read several books, listened to online podcasts, been to several university lectures, given maths tutoring to younger students, entered maths competitions... and basically just done a load of maths-related stuff which I have talked about on my PS.

Anyway, I'm not sure if that all makes me a potential Oxford candidate? I would really love to go there, but I don't want to waste a choice if I have literally no chance of getting in.

Any help/advice you can give would be really great, as this is something that is definitely keeping me up at night! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksma1999)
    Anyway, I'm not sure if that all makes me a potential Oxford candidate? I would really love to go there, but I don't want to waste a choice if I have literally no chance of getting in.

Any help/advice you can give would be really great, as this is something that is definitely keeping me up at night! Thank you!
    Given this is something you wish to do I would certainly encourage you. There is nothing in what you've said that means you have no chance.

A best indicator would be how you're finding the MAT papers. How are they going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Given this is something you wish to do I would certainly encourage you. There is nothing in what you've said that means you have no chance.

A best indicator would be how you're finding the MAT papers. How are they going?

Thank you for your advice!
    The MAT questions I've done so far have been alright, but I am yet to try a full paper under exam conditions so can't really compare myself to previous successful applicants yet, but I will definitely do a full paper soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.