The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For our personal statements, does anyone know if we need to include the length of time spent at each placement, seeing as that will be stated on the work experience forms anyway?
I don’t think we do, but I’m sure if you email the universities they’ll be able to tell you for sure @6573282
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 6573282
For our personal statements, does anyone know if we need to include the length of time spent at each placement, seeing as that will be stated on the work experience forms anyway?

Not every placement, no.

I generally recommend to be clear about how much you've done total. I started saying this before all of the vet school used a work experience form (I don't know if they all do now, I don't bother to keep tabs any more :tongue: But definitely more do than they used to), but I still think it's not a bad idea.
I didn't, and I got offers this year so it definitely isn't necessary! The separate work experience forms that each uni have ask for all that information so I didn't see the point in duplicating it when there were other things I wanted to say on my personal statement form.
Reply 1044
I'm wondering if anyone can help me; I have a work experience clash and I'm not sure which one to go with.
I had a week booked with a small animal vets in August and am doing some calving for 7 days before this.
The dairy farmer has now asked if I could stay on for another week as they've had someone drop out but this is when I'm due at the small animal practice.
I already have 4 weeks with small animals practices and as yet no calving experience; would 2 weeks calving and 4 weeks small animal practice be better than 1 week calving and 5 weeks small animal?
I'm not sure which to go with!
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Original post by HRoe
I'm wondering if anyone can help me; I have a work experience clash and I'm not sure which one to go with.
I had a week booked with a small animal vets in August and am doing some calving for 7 days before this.
The dairy farmer has now asked if I could stay on for another week as they've had someone drop out but this is when I'm due at the small animal practice.
I already have 4 weeks with small animals practices and as yet no calving experience; would 2 weeks calving and 4 weeks small animal practice be better than 1 week calving and 5 weeks small animal?
I'm not sure which to go with!
Any advice greatly appreciated.

What other husbandry experience do you have? My gut reaction was to go for the calving but that's not for any particular reason other than the weather being nice currently and the fact that the vet practice will be fine without you while it sounds like the farm could use the extra hands :tongue:

If you already have a lot of husbandry work then doing extra calving won't confer any particular advantage/disadvantage. Just go with whichever you would prefer to do tbh
quick reminder for any apps - applyingtovetschool would be a very wise google search! :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
quick reminder for any apps - applyingtovetschool would be a very wise google search! :smile:

^^ Cannot recommend more - was very helpful when I applied
Original post by VMD100
^^ Cannot recommend more - was very helpful when I applied

Is the personal statement review on applyingtovetschool still running? It would be really helpful if it was :smile:
Original post by Great_Dane1
Is the personal statement review on applyingtovetschool still running? It would be really helpful if it was :smile:

Yes it is! They've been a great help to me
Original post by ewecrazy?
Yes it is! They've been a great help to me

Oh that's great then! I've been using the advice on the website which has been really helpful, but I didn't realise the website was still running :smile: thanks
Hey everyone!! Just checking in to see how everyone’s summer has been so far 😊 how’s work experience/chilling/personal statement writing getting on?
Original post by buzzyambee
Hey everyone!! Just checking in to see how everyone’s summer has been so far 😊 how’s work experience/chilling/personal statement writing getting on?

Hey! It's been good to have a break from school, I've just finished a placement at a cattery and I have done my personal statement first draft. I am desperately trying to get farm WEX but I can't get any at all, every farm I contact just says that their insurance would be too expensive to cover work experience students and the insurance costs the same as it would to employ someone. I don't know any farmers at all, has anyone got any tips?

How has your summer been?
Original post by buzzyambee

I'm going to a mixed practice this week to shadow their small animal team, an equine practice next week, an equestrian centre the week after that, and then another mixed practice after that. I've also started back at the dairy farm and Blue Cross rehoming centre due to exams being finished.
Hey! It's been good to have a break from school, I've just finished a placement at a cattery and I have done my personal statement first draft. I am desperately trying to get farm WEX but I can't get any at all, every farm I contact just says that their insurance would be too expensive to cover work experience students and the insurance costs the same as it would to employ someone. I don't know any farmers at all, has anyone got any tips?

Have you tried asking any vets for contact details of a farmer? I asked the vets that I help at for the contact details of a dairy farm that we went to for a call out and the vet agreed after phoning the farmer and asking if it was okay for her to give me his contact details.
I am desperately trying to get farm WEX but I can't get any at all, every farm I contact just says that their insurance would be too expensive to cover work experience students and the insurance costs the same as it would to employ someone. I don't know any farmers at all, has anyone got any tips?

Apart from just 'keep trying' or seeing if you can use contacts as suggested above, how about something like a multi-species sanctuary that has farm animals, or a farm park aimed at children, in the summer holidays they might appreciate an extra pair of hands! It's absolutely not the same as a commercial farm environment but it might at least give you a little experience of working with some of the larger animals. Whereabouts in the country are you?
Original post by OrangeArcher
Have you tried asking any vets for contact details of a farmer? I asked the vets that I help at for the contact details of a dairy farm that we went to for a call out and the vet agreed after phoning the farmer and asking if it was okay for her to give me his contact details.

I never thought of that, that’s a good idea - thank you! :smile:

The insurance is very expensive so unless the farmers have it already you might struggle to find someone to take you on. Farmers can't exactly spare much money!

I don't know if it's any help but I know a lot of universities and colleges hold short, week-long courses? If you can afford it (it's just something no one else has mentioned yet) why don't you look into doing one of them over the summer? I did a week long vet course which was great (until I then didn't get my grades to be a vet anyway)!
I'm really surprised people are having problems finding farm placements, must be a different breed of farmers where you guys are from - around here insurance certainly wouldn't be a concern haha, try physically showing up to farms instead of just calling or emailing. It is far harder to turn someone down if they're in person, also if they physically see you they're more likely to make a judgment you look useful to them than over the phone where they may get the impression its more hassle than it is worth. Show them you want to work and they'll certainly put you to it :wink:
I agree, I suspect it is the same as in practice when folk email and ask to do work experience, some are more hassle to have in the work place than it's worth so it is easier to say no than try to work out if that person will actually be interested enough to make it worth the effort of having them around.

As @VMD100 says turn up at the farm in person and you may get a much better response. I suspect work experience placements are covered under their public liability so the insurance reason may actually be not totally correct.

Original post by VMD100
I'm really surprised people are having problems finding farm placements, must be a different breed of farmers where you guys are from - around here insurance certainly wouldn't be a concern haha, try physically showing up to farms instead of just calling or emailing. It is far harder to turn someone down if they're in person, also if they physically see you they're more likely to make a judgment you look useful to them than over the phone where they may get the impression its more hassle than it is worth. Show them you want to work and they'll certainly put you to it :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending