Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Discrete maths/Operational research at uni

ReputationRep:
    I love both discrete maths and operational research and want to study a uni course that contains lots of either.

By this I mean topics like algorithms, logic, optimisation, graph theory and simulation.

I was looking at Discrete maths at Warwick but it seems like a computer science course and I'm more interested in the maths side of it.

(I'm also a fan of topology if anyone knows courses that include it too).

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Discrete maths but have just overloaded heavily on maths modules compared to computer science modules

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-b)
    I love both discrete maths and operational research and want to study a uni course that contains lots of either.

By this I mean topics like algorithms, logic, optimisation, graph theory and simulation.

I was looking at Discrete maths at Warwick but it seems like a computer science course and I'm more interested in the maths side of it.

(I'm also a fan of topology if anyone knows courses that include it too).
    DM at Warwick can 100% be tailored to be what you want it to be, with the exception of the core modules, but you'll find that there is a heavy algorithms focus. If you're still not convinced, check out MORSE at Warwick too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    I'm taking Discrete maths but have just overloaded heavily on maths modules compared to computer science modules

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tysm that's exactly what I want to do, looks like I'll be putting Warwick as my firm choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematigeek)
    DM at Warwick can 100% be tailored to be what you want it to be, with the exception of the core modules, but you'll find that there is a heavy algorithms focus. If you're still not convinced, check out MORSE at Warwick too.
    Thank you, I was considering MORSE but I'm not a fan of economics so I stuck with discrete. I've enjoyed algorithms so far at A level so hopefully I will next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-b)
    Thank you, I was considering MORSE but I'm not a fan of economics so I stuck with discrete. I've enjoyed algorithms so far at A level so hopefully I will next year.
    You will LOVE it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematigeek)
    You will LOVE it
    ^Can confirm

(Apart from analysis xD)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    ^Can confirm

(Apart from analysis xD)
    Thanks!! Nice to know multiple people support my decision :')

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.