Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey,I really don't know what to do and I'm feeling down.

Basically, I'm a second year and I have no friends at university or at home. When I say no friends, I really mean it. Not a single person I talk to apart from my mum and siblings. I moved into accommodation this week and since I have no friends, I'm living with strangers. This is something that has caused me a great deal of distress. I feel really ashamed about not having friends and I'm dreading the moment when my flatmates eventually ask me why I'm not living with friends, since pretty much everyone does after first year. What should I say if they ask me this? I'd rather them not know I don't have friends as people tend to look down on/be creeped out by people who don't have friends/don't talk much. I've been hiding in my room so far and I'm really scared to go out.

Words can't even describe how much this is all getting to me. I hate university(well I hate having to live out, but I can't commute as its quite a distance). The whole of first year I was so sad and never left my room and I barely spoke to anyone. I've been recently diagnosed with Social anxiety and depression and I'm waiting to have CBT. Is there anything I can do now that will make things better- and at least allow me to make one friend? Its got to the point where I don't even want to be alive tbh. It probably sounds silly to most people because making friends comes easy to most people. I've never met anyone who didn't at least have one friend. Its just sad that I'm failing at something that should be so simple. I suck at life and I hate it.

I guess I don't really have a specific question but all contributions are welcome. I'm also really paranoid that they'll find this and figure out its me.

ReputationRep:
    Join a society of some sort? Or do what I did... drown yourself in anime and go full hikikimori.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be your friend 😌

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Join in with some of the freshers events, join some societies. I joined SSAGO last year while doing my foundation year and found that really helped me cos as well as making friends in my own uni, i made friends with people from different unis through their national events. For more imformation look at http://www.ssago.org/join?902

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Join a society of some sort? Or do what I did... drown yourself in anime and go full hikikimori.
    *hikikomori

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there isn't a charity or social home near you? They appreciate all kinds of people willing to help, including those that themselves need help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,I really don't know what to do and I'm feeling down.

Basically, I'm a second year and I have no friends at university or at home. When I say no friends, I really mean it. Not a single person I talk to apart from my mum and siblings. I moved into accommodation this week and since I have no friends, I'm living with strangers. This is something that has caused me a great deal of distress. I feel really ashamed about not having friends and I'm dreading the moment when my flatmates eventually ask me why I'm not living with friends, since pretty much everyone does after first year. What should I say if they ask me this? I'd rather them not know I don't have friends as people tend to look down on/be creeped out by people who don't have friends/don't talk much. I've been hiding in my room so far and I'm really scared to go out.

Words can't even describe how much this is all getting to me. I hate university(well I hate having to live out, but I can't commute as its quite a distance). The whole of first year I was so sad and never left my room and I barely spoke to anyone. I've been recently diagnosed with Social anxiety and depression and I'm waiting to have CBT. Is there anything I can do now that will make things better- and at least allow me to make one friend? Its got to the point where I don't even want to be alive tbh. It probably sounds silly to most people because making friends comes easy to most people. I've never met anyone who didn't at least have one friend. Its just sad that I'm failing at something that should be so simple. I suck at life and I hate it.

I guess I don't really have a specific question but all contributions are welcome. I'm also really paranoid that they'll find this and figure out its me.
    what uni do you go to

ReputationRep:
    ^ yes, try volunteering or something. I'm not in university but for many reasons I lost most of my friends so I took volunteering up and met so many lovely people. It's soon worth it and I really recommend it. Try societies too. Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.