GCSE Computer Science help!

Watch
Badges: 4
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is this statement true about the clock speed for a CPU? "A higher clock speed allows the CPU to execute instructions quicker"

The exam question asks "Explain how the clock speed of a CPU affects its performance"

This is the mark scheme below I'm not sure if I would get the marks as the markscheme says something different to what I put.
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by JackT2000)
Is this statement true about the clock speed for a CPU? "A higher clock speed allows the CPU to execute instructions quicker"

The exam question asks "Explain how to clock speed of a CPU affects its performace"
This is the mark scheme below I'm not sure if I would get the marks as the markscheme says something different to what I put.
Attached files
emmald583
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yes, what you've said is true. Increasing the clock speed decreases the time taken for the computer to execute each instruction/process each piece of data, so overall the computer will execute the instructions faster. "The faster the CPU will run" is just a slightly more general way of expressing the same idea.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emmald583)
Yes, what you've said is true. Increasing the clock speed decreases the time taken for the computer to execute each instruction/process each piece of data, so overall the computer will execute the instructions faster. "The faster the CPU will run" is just a slightly more general way of expressing the same idea.
JackT2000

Edit: Misread again, the above is pretty much correct If there is a higher clock speed, more cycles can execute per second, meaning more instructions per second.

Speaking in a general, probably post-GCSE sense, higher clock speed only really means higher performance, if:
  • The two CPUs being compared are of the same architecture.
  • The two CPUs being compared have the same number of cores.
  • The two CPUs have the same, or relatively similar IPC.
  • If the workload is tailored to prefer clock speed over the amount of cores. Several processes, like games, are still quite single-threaded.
If it's the same CPU running at a different clock in each instance, the answer will often be yes provided it's stable at that clock.

Just a bit of extra info there

My answer, assuming a GCSE context, would be: "Yes, as there are more cycles per second, more instructions will be able to be handled within the given time frame, and thus the application/machine will perform "faster""
(Original post by _gcx)
JackT2000

Edit: Misread again, the above is pretty much correct If there is a higher clock speed, more cycles can execute per second, meaning more instructions per second.

Speaking in a general, probably post-GCSE sense, higher clock speed only really means higher performance, if:
  • The two CPUs being compared are of the same architecture.
  • The two CPUs being compared have the same number of cores.
  • The two CPUs have the same, or relatively similar IPC.
  • If the workload is tailored to prefer clock speed over the amount of cores. Several processes, like games, are still quite single-threaded.
If it's the same CPU running at a different clock in each instance, the answer will often be yes provided it's stable at that clock.

Just a bit of extra info there

My answer, assuming a GCSE context, would be: "Yes, as there are more cycles per second, more instructions will be able to be handled within the given time frame, and thus the application/machine will perform "faster""
So if I wrote that in the exam I would get marks for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.26%
October 2021 (220)
45.64%
November 2021 (54)
11.2%
December 2021 (62)
12.86%
January 2021 (55)
11.41%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.51%