The Student Room Group

Very Low UKCAT Score

I have just done my UKCAT today and these are my results:

VR- 560
QR- 690
AR-610
(total= 1860, average 620)
SJT- band 2

Are there any universities that accept such low scores for medicine?
Original post by MA1998
I have just done my UKCAT today and these are my results:

VR- 560
QR- 690
AR-610
(total= 1860, average 620)
SJT- band 2

Are there any universities that accept such low scores for medicine?

Depends, how are your GCSEs?
Reply 2
Original post by Bright_Gift
Depends, how are your GCSEs?

I have 5 A*'s, 1 A and 3 B's. My A*'s include maths and additional science but then I only achieved B's in English language and Core Science. The B in English was because I moved schools in year 11 and the exam board was changed and the B in core science was because I did the exam in year 10 and my English was quite weak at the time. I have now done the IELTS to prove that my English has improved; I got band 8.5 out of 9.

Would universities that want an A in English and Science consider my application, given that I only moved to the UK in year 9 and I didn't speak any English before that + also moved schools in year 11?
Original post by MA1998
I have 5 A*'s, 1 A and 3 B's. My A*'s include maths and additional science but then I only achieved B's in English language and Core Science. The B in English was because I moved schools in year 11 and the exam board was changed and the B in core science was because I did the exam in year 10 and my English was quite weak at the time. I have now done the IELTS to prove that my English has improved; I got band 8.5 out of 9.

Would universities that want an A in English and Science consider my application, given that I only moved to the UK in year 9 and I didn't speak any English before that + also moved schools in year 11?

As you moved to Uk in Year 9, I would say that that is a mitigating circumstance and therefore the Universities that do require and A in English and Core Science could give you some leeway, I would advise thaf you call the unis in questions up about this.
The fact that you got the 8.5 out of 9 works very well in your favour.
It's tricky because for low UkCAT scorers, great GCSEs really come in handy. Your GCSEs are good but with your UKCAT, it puts you at a bit of disadvantage.
I would highly recommend taking the BMAT and search for Unis that don't give much emphasis to GCSEs. i know Imperial does not take GCSEs into consideration at all so that's worth checking out.
Also Bristol pays a lot of attention to the PS so check that out too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Bright_Gift
As you moved to Uk in Year 9, I would say that that is a mitigating circumstance and therefore the Universities that do require and A in English and Core Science could give you some leeway, I would advise thaf you call the unis in questions up about this.
The fact that you got the 8.5 out of 9 works very well in your favour.
It's tricky because for low UkCAT scorers, great GCSEs really come in handy. Your GCSEs are good but with your UKCAT, it puts you at a bit of disadvantage.
I would highly recommend taking the BMAT and search for Unis that don't give much emphasis to GCSEs. i know Imperial does not take GCSEs into consideration at all so that's worth checking out.
Also Bristol pays a lot of attention to the PS so check that out too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much:smile: :smile:. I will start calling universities up tomorrow morning and I will also speak to my school so that I could sit the BMAT in November. My personal statement is of good standard so I will try to improve it a bit more and will have a look at Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest