Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    I have looked it up, and it was not derisory to begin with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccaninny
    My bad, you appear to be correct. If you read the link however the strong suggestion is that from as early as the 1930s, the term was no longer seen as being acceptable, but rather derisory. Also if you look at the picture illustrations and couple that with the connotations, it is offensive, and even Boris must have known that. If youself or Boris feel it is acceptable then carry on, but it just isn't.

(Original post by Agent Smith)
    Welcome to the Racist Club, Yawn :rolleyes:
    Well, I'm not sure that my membership would be valid, Smithy...but thanks for the welcome anyway.

...I don't know about Johnson's comment that people greet with 'watermelon' smiles as that could be offensive... but certainly, myself, as a fully paid up member of the supporters club for those who are treated as 'underdogs', I am very suprised that the word was so offensive to people of a particular skin colour since I am 'pinky white' skinned and have never felt offended by being referred to by my mum as one of her picaninnies.

(Original post by yawn)
    Picanninnies is a colloquial expression for one's children. My mother uses it all the time when talking of us, her offspring. as a term of endearment. :confused:

"Pickaninny (also picaninny) is a pidgin word form which may be derived from the Portuguese pequeninho ("little") via lingua franca."
    Ok, but my Oxford English dictionary (11th edn.) identifies the word as 'offensive' when used to mean 'small black child'. I hear what you're saying, but this man is a politician and, despite appearances(!), well educated. He should have known the potential value of this word when using it, and I would offer that he almost certainly did, which is why I don't see him as innocent. Yes, I could be wrong, in which case he's fitting his image as politically incompetent I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *The One)
    Ha...ha...ha you're very funny! Waffling, well if that isn't Boris's middle name I'll buy you a drink. 'Blaming the jews', now that is rubbish, when you can provide quotations i won't assuem you're getting desperate. He's anti-the bush regime, is that any wonder, who isn't? He had the balls to challenge the U.S embassador for dodging the congestion charge, good on him I say.
    Provide quotations of something he'll likely do in the future?

Anyway, I shan't go to much effort to defend my arguments against a man who spells 'ambassador' with an 'e'.

Only found in intention? Actually lol right now. So it's alright for you to call a disabled Indian a ******* paki, as long as you meant it as a joke?
    A joke at someone's expense is not a positive intention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    ...I don't know about Johnson's comment that people greet with 'watermelon' smiles as that could be offensive...
    I've never understood the link between black people and watermelons...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    They both live in trees.

Did I just win the Boris Johnson Award for bad taste and offensiveness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalImmortal)
    Perhaps a bit irresponsible to use her status as the mother of a racist murder victim to push an anti-Johnson agenda. Any thoughts?
    Being related to a victim of any high profile media case qualifies you to be a "talking head" these days.

(Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    Watermelons when cut, resemble a smile with the pips reminiscent of teeth.

Black people frequently have very wide, genuine smiles - with the whiteness of their teeth prominent against their dark skin.

Hence the disparaging link between a friendly smile and an inanimate object.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Watermelons when cut, resemble a smile with the pips reminiscent of teeth.

Black people frequently have very wide, genuine smiles - with the whiteness of their teeth prominent against their dark skin.

Hence the disparaging link between a friendly smile and an inanimate object.
    Whilst Johnson's comment was ill-advised, I think he meant it more as a stab at Blair's attitudes towards Africa, rather than to illustrate his own? Though I can see why it would piss people off, and wish Boris would pick his words with more elan...

Ken Livingstone hasn't exactly been scrupulously caring of people's feelings :p:.

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...&id=1550292006

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...5&id=902872006

ReputationRep:
    The comments are obviously not serious. A shame to see Diane Abbott jumping on the bandwagon as she usually talks sense.

Whilst Johnson's comment was ill-advised, I think he meant it more as a stab at Blair's attitudes towards Africa, rather than to illustrate his own?
    In what way and for what? :confused:

Ken Livingstone hasn't exactly been scrupulously caring of people's feelings
    And there was far more of a public furore over his comments than there is over those of Boris

ReputationRep:
    Just dirty politics and opportunism. I want Boris to get the job. People like to condescendingly treat him as a buffoon when he is in fact a clever man.
    He’s clever, but that’s why I don’t like his facade. Rather than disliking peoples’ condescension toward him, I dislike the way he engineered a facade to provoke it and then lap it up. I always get the feeling he has ulterior motives, or is never serious in what he says because of this.

ReputationRep:
    I hope he does get Mayor of London now.

The Politically Correct brigade have had their time in this country, and there's no better place to start trying to fix it than in London.

Diane Abbot used to strike me as an alright person, for a labour MP. Certainly on the Daily Politics (presented by Jenny Scott...ahhh...) she and Michael Portillo say some quite sensible stuff.
    But she's really shown herself up to be a big, fat cow.

But she's really shown herself up to be a big, fat cow.
    That's no a nice thing to say about anyone. :eek:

Would you think it was ok to say that Boris was a big fat pig?

ReputationRep:
    ENOCH POWELL for the love of god you people.

Edit:

(Original post by Wiki, our Lord and Savior)
    During the middle section of Margaret Mitchell's best-selling epic Gone with the Wind, one of the novel's supposedly sympathetic characters, Melanie Wilkes, objects to her husband's intended move to New York because it will mean that their children will be educated alongside Yankee children and pickaninnies. The term was also controversially quoted ("wide-eyed grinning picaninnies") by the British Conservative politician Enoch Powell from a letter in his "Rivers of Blood" speech on 20 April 1968.
    Could Boris, the well educated historian and politician, have been lampooning an old phrase and an old politician, or has his fairly long tenure in public politics lead him to believe that racism is just ok?

That's why politics is filled with so much crap, these days! Because politicians, who usually are well educated, have to pander to the lowest common denominator lest their even mildly-intelligent commentary be miscontrued by people either too stupid to realise what they're doing, or too keen to get ahead to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    That's no a nice thing to say about anyone. :eek:

Would you think it was ok to say that Boris was a big fat pig?

He's not shown himself to be a petty, political point-scoring wally yet!

If he ever does, feel free to call him that.

ReputationRep:
    That's why politics is filled with so much crap, these days! Because politicians, who usually are well educated, have to pander to the lowest common denominator lest their even mildly-intelligent commentary be miscontrued by people either too stupid to realise what they're doing, or too keen to get ahead to care.
    most politicans arent representative of the population, but they have to act like they are. In my expierence, the average joe is ****ing thick. So, they have to act thick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consie)
    most politicans arent representative of the population, but they have to act like they are. In my expierence, the average joe is ****ing thick. So, they have to act thick?
    Well, quite. I forgotten who quoted them, and I've forgotten who they quoted (probably DrunkHamster quoting Nozick, but I can't remember exactly), stating how extending democracy isn't an unquestionably and inherently good thing, basically because people are bloody morons.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, democracy isnt inherently good, hence dumping it on middle eastern countries being a questionable idea.

(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    He's not shown himself to be a petty, political point-scoring wally yet!

If he ever does, feel free to call him that.
    I wouldn't dream of calling anyone a big fat pig...or cow, come to that. I'm far too well bred.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.