People that went to not so great universities

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever feel bad or think you made the wrong choice of university when you joined TSR?

obviously this site has a skewed view and there is a lot of elitist views heres, Warwick is seen as a rubbish uni here and although it is pretty bad it's not THAT bad.

I wonder how newbies to the site feel when they see people sh*t on any university that isn't top 10/15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    Did you ever feel bad or think you made the wrong choice of university when you joined TSR?

obviously this site has a skewed view and there is a lot of elitist views heres, Warwick is seen as a rubbish uni here and although it is pretty bad it's not THAT bad.

I wonder how newbies to the site feel when they see people sh*t on any university that isn't top 10/15.
    Warwick is ranked 8th in the UK and 51st in the world. It may or may not be weak for certain subjects but Warwick is a very strong university. on what basis are you saying it is bad? It is top ten in the UK is part of the Russel group and just outside the top 50 globally.

Yes Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and University College London are generally that bit better. However outside of those four there really is not a university in this country that has a significant lead on them.

I suspect you are either trolling or have not done your research.

ReputationRep:
    Let the triggering begin.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    Warwick is ranked 8th in the UK and 51st in the world. It may or may not be weak for certain subjects but Warwick is a very strong university. on what basis are you saying it is bad? It is top ten in the UK is part of the Russel group and just outside the top 50 globally.

Yes Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and University College London are generally that bit better. However outside of those four there really is not a university in this country that has a significant lead on them.

I suspect you are either trolling or have not done your research.
    lemme guess, you went to warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bros R Us)
    lemme guess, you went to warwick
    No They are in the top 5 I plan to apply to next year.

I would prefer Cambridge or imperial but I would not be ashamed to go to Warwick. Are we really going to say that anything outside of the top four is just really bad?

ReputationRep:
    wtf i will never understand people's hatred of warwick on this website.. it literally is equivalent to saying UCL, bristol or durham are "pretty bad"

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to roehampton lol. I had a rough time at A levels... (gsce's i did well 3 A's rest B's)... but hey university is further educations... its that or I start a 12k a year job.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Greenwich which is pretty bad but it was either that Westminster or Hertfordshire from my offers maybe I picked the worst one though ..

ReputationRep:
    "Warwick [...] is pretty bad"

- TSR, 2016

ReputationRep:
    I feel very sorry for anyone using TSR who goes to a metropolitan university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    I feel very sorry for anyone using TSR who goes to a metropolitan university
    I think its more of a question in what you do your degree in. If you do a STEM degree (regardless of the University) you attend, your options are just as good if you went to a higher University.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that most people would feel that they made the wrong choice of uni when seeing all the Oxbridge threads. If anything, I'd say that they would be more likely to just feel academically inferior to the others. A weak student can still go to the best university that will take them (and feel perfectly fine about their choice).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    I think its more of a question in what you do your degree in. If you do a STEM degree (regardless of the University) you attend, your options are just as good if you went to a higher University.
    lol nah bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyLadDarren)
    lol nah bro
    Within reason.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get too hung up on the issue, it is what it is.

I was a straight A student until I smoked too much weed as a teenager, which in hindsight was a very poor decision but it's water under the bridge. Now I'm going to Leicester(which isn't a bad uni) on the back of an Access Course and plan on trying to get into a top uni for postgrad.

TSRians have collective OCD about it anyway, you can still do well in the real world if you don't go to a top 5 uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I don't get too hung up on the issue, it is what it is.

I was a straight A student until I smoked too much weed as a teenager, which in hindsight was a very poor decision but it's water under the bridge. Now I'm going to Leicester(which isn't a bad uni) on the back of an Access Course and plan on trying to get into a top uni for postgrad.

TSRians have collective OCD about it anyway, you can still do well in the real world if you don't go to a top 5 uni.
    Absolutely. GL in your degree.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like TSR doesn't have the time to mock Unis like UCLan when they're mocking ones like Warick.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, here we go, the same old boring uni elitism.

Come on everyone, get it out of your system. That's it, there we go. Ease into it. Thaaaaaaat's it. There, there. Don't hold anything back, will you? There we go, alllll better. :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Oh, here we go, the same old boring uni elitism.

Come on everyone, get it out of your system. That's it, there we go. Ease into it. Thaaaaaaat's it. There, there. Don't hold anything back, will you? There we go, alllll better. :yawn:

Threads like this always make me feel terrible about myself haha

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.