The Student Room Group

Proton NMR for aromatic compounds

Hi, just wondering have I counted the proton environments right for this molecule? hahhaa.pngI got 5 different hydrogen environments.
Attachment not found
For the peak with area of 5, I have no clue how you can get that from the molecule. The answer says the peak is produced from the protons in the benzene ring, but I really don't see how...

Also is this right? qqqq.png
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by coconut64
Hi, just wondering have I counted the proton environments right for this molecule? qqqq.png I got 4 different hydrogen environments.
Attachment not found
For the peak with area of 5, I have no clue how you can get that from the molecule. The answer says the peak is produced from the protons in the benzene ring, but I really don't see how...

Thanks

Are you sure that was compound K?

Anyways, the environments on the ring can overlap, being very close together.
Reply 2
Original post by EricPiphany
Are you sure that was compound K?

Anyways, the environments on the ring can overlap, being very close together.

I made a mistake, I have just edited it. Thanks
I made a mistake, I have just edited it. Thanks

So, as I said, you can reason from the integration (and the δ value) in this case, as the ring environments tend to be very close and overlap sometimes.
Reply 4
Original post by EricPiphany
So, as I said, you can reason from the integration (and the δ value) in this case, as the ring environments tend to be very close and overlap sometimes.

Oh okay but have I counted my hydrogen environments right for both molecules? Thx
Oh okay but have I counted my hydrogen environments right for both molecules? Thx

Yes.

Quick Reply