Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Proton NMR for aromatic compounds Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondering have I counted the proton environments right for this molecule? Name:  hahhaa.png
Views: 81
Size:  25.7 KBI got 5 different hydrogen environments. Attachment 580940580942 For the peak with area of 5, I have no clue how you can get that from the molecule. The answer says the peak is produced from the protons in the benzene ring, but I really don't see how...

Also is this right? Name:  qqqq.png
Views: 73
Size:  16.0 KB
    Thanks
    Attached Images

(Original post by coconut64)
      Hi, just wondering have I counted the proton environments right for this molecule? Name:  qqqq.png
Views: 73
Size:  16.0 KB I got 4 different hydrogen environments. Attachment 580940580942 For the peak with area of 5, I have no clue how you can get that from the molecule. The answer says the peak is produced from the protons in the benzene ring, but I really don't see how...

Thanks
      Are you sure that was compound K?

Anyways, the environments on the ring can overlap, being very close together.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EricPiphany)
      Are you sure that was compound K?

Anyways, the environments on the ring can overlap, being very close together.
      I made a mistake, I have just edited it. Thanks

I made a mistake, I have just edited it. Thanks
        So, as I said, you can reason from the integration (and the δ value) in this case, as the ring environments tend to be very close and overlap sometimes.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by EricPiphany)
        So, as I said, you can reason from the integration (and the δ value) in this case, as the ring environments tend to be very close and overlap sometimes.
        Oh okay but have I counted my hydrogen environments right for both molecules? Thx

Oh okay but have I counted my hydrogen environments right for both molecules? Thx
          Yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.