Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how can we grow watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering....
    what makes us grow?
    is there special food that we eat that makes us grow?
    sound like a dumb question.lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PercyWerthers)
    i was just wondering....
    what makes us grow?
    err genetics?

Its your genes that determine how high you will grow, diet may have some influence.

ReputationRep:
    How do we grow?... cell division

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PercyWerthers)
    i was just wondering....
    what makes us grow?

Lucky charmed breakfast cereal.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have heard that if you sit up straight/stand strainght (instead of slouching) for 2 weeks, you grow 2 inches. (actually,you are just straightening your back out, really aren't you?)

ReputationRep:
    Protein, but you won't keep growing, you will grow the way you are supposed to (eg to max height, muscles etc) with regular exercise. Protein is in fish (tuna is good) and meat mainly but you need to eat it with the other things (can't remember what protein is...food group?) like carbs, iron etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Well, I have heard that if you sit up straight/stand strainght (instead of slouching) for 2 weeks, you grow 2 inches. (actually,you are just straightening your back out, really aren't you?)
    mmm, maybe thats why ppl who sleep a lot r tall. is their any possible way to make ure legs longer at 18 :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You want the secret of growing tall?... hang upside down for 3 hours every day while eating raw fish, cod liver oil and don't forget milk... I guarantee you will grow several inches in 1 month...

ReputationRep:
    Nope, all you have to do is have a high protein diet from the age of about 12-18 and then there's no doubt you will be the max height. Other than that, there is stretching and sort of implants that can be screwed into your limbs to stretch them over time. It's expensive and very painful. You've got what you've got so if you've had however much protein you should have (ie are not malnourished, have a balance and healthy diet) there's nothing you can or should do to change it.

ReputationRep:
    Prior to birth and for several months after birth, the skeleton has very little bone. Many bones start out as cartilage. As the child grows, cartilage transforms into true bone (endochondral ossification). Ossification rates appear at set time in healthy children and can be evaluated by radiographic imaging.

Bones are a storehouse of minerals. They hold 99% of the bodies calcium, 86% of its phosphate, and 54% of our magnesium. Calcium is an essential element in keeping bones healthy and strong. But calcium plays an important role in other essential functions as well: - Calcium keeps membranes permeable
    - Muscles can not contract without calcium
    - Blood can not clot without calcium
    - Certain enzymes can not function without calcium
    To keep bones healthy and in good repair, other nutrients are needed. Vitamin D stimulates the body to absorb calcium and phosphorus. It plays a key role in making it possible for calcium and phosphorus to cross through the intestinal wall. Lack of vitamin D causes the condition known as Rickets.
    Vitamins A and C are essential for bone remodeling and growth. Insufficient supply of vitamin A results in a serious condition of decreased osteoblast activity, commonly known as Scurvy. To keep bones healthy and in good repair, there is a mechanism in place to repair damaged tissue and to revitalize old, weakened bone with new, strong material. Specialized cells called osteoblasts accomplish this. Blast means make or form. Osteoblasts converge at the site where bone repair will take place. They secrete collagen fibers, which bind to minerals absorbed from the bloodstream, and new bone is created. Forming new bone requires adequate Calcium and Phosphorous. Certain hormones can activate a release of these minerals into the bloodstream so they are readily available when needed.

ReputationRep:
    Aww. I thought you were going to ask how we can grow as people. By all being nice to each other for a start, and taking a moment to consider everyone else's feelings. But that wasn't the question, so it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    hee.

ReputationRep:
    I was told at not even 15 that I'd stopped growing taller

*edit* I mean that I wouldn't grow any taller... an orthopaedic surgeon told me that

ReputationRep:
    I Haven't grown since Year 9!!

ReputationRep:
    Diet seriously affects it. Im still growing, and im 16 and 6ft2. Everyones different and you can never change your genes, but there are some high protein diets that will increase muscle growth if thats what your after?

ReputationRep:
    i thought that it was all to do with the pituatary gland and how much growth hormone it secretes. this is all to do with genetics but can be aided or hindered by environmental factors such as diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    i thought that it was all to do with the pituatary gland and how much growth hormone it secretes. this is all to do with genetics but can be aided or hindered by environmental factors such as diet.

Exactly! Give the man a mistrel *hee*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGeadie)
    Exactly! Give the man a mistrel *hee*
    WOOOman!

ReputationRep:
    are any of them groweth tablets real?

ReputationRep:
    Was wondering, but does stuff like skipping help? Lolz.. totally random, but one of my friends skipped 1000 times everyday and she's now a head taller than me.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.