Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always wondered whether basketball makes you tall or whether it happens to be that basketball players are tall....what is it?

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Excersise will NOT induce growth, but slobbing about wont do ya any good either. Its genes mostly with some external influences, ie, food.

ReputationRep:
    mitoisis - the only word I remember!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    mitoisis - the only word I remember!

You mean, Mitosis? The process in cell division by which the nucleus divides, typically consisting of four stages, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase, and normally resulting in two new nuclei, each of which contains a complete copy of the parental chromosomes. Also called karyokinesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGeadie)
    You mean, Mitosis? The process in cell division by which the nucleus divides, typically consisting of four stages, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase, and normally resulting in two new nuclei, each of which contains a complete copy of the parental chromosomes. Also called karyokinesis.
    whooosh *hand flying over head* yeah that, I'm glad I'm doing history!

ReputationRep:
    lol, soz, but I love biology. Hoping that if I get good grades on Aug. 10th (19 days... shudder) then it might set me up for a good higher set. What are all these societies? im fairly new to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    I always wondered whether basketball makes you tall or whether it happens to be that basketball players are tall....what is it?
    basketball players are tall..

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, well done, anyone whos done AS Biology could tell you that. Are you trying impress people or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenarbisbanned)
    Yeh, well done, anyone whos done AS Biology could tell you that. Are you trying impress people or something?

Nup, people ask, I tell them. Tis the whole point of this system, to share information. Besides, what do you care? Also, I dont do AS, I did SG's this year.

ReputationRep:
    lol, soz, but I love biology. Hoping that if I get good grades on Aug. 10th (19 days... shudder) then it might set me up for a good higher set. What are all these societies? im fairly new to this.
    societies show interests in subjects and give a gneral idea to the people to ask questions to, e.g. (and this is only one person) but a fairly obvious one that if you need help with music, music boy is in the society so you can ask and so far he has given very helpful goo dresponses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    societies show interests in subjects and give a gneral idea to the people to ask questions to, e.g. (and this is only one person) but a fairly obvious one that if you need help with music, music boy is in the society so you can ask and so far he has given very helpful goo dresponses

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    no probs any time

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Excersise will NOT induce growth, but slobbing about wont do ya any good either. Its genes mostly with some external influences, ie, food.
    Exercise will not induce growth? Are you saying that increased muscle mass is not growth then?

ReputationRep:
    Exercise will not induce growth? Are you saying that increased muscle mass is not growth then?

Ahh, I thought from a different perspective, as in upwards growth. Then your absolutlely spot on, thanks for correcting me.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I thought from a different perspective, as in upwards growth. Then your absolutlely spot on, thanks for correcting me.
    My knowledge on this subject is sketchy, but I know for example that weight lifting causes release of growth hormone. Therefore, if you do moderate amounts of weight training during your mid teens, will this mean you grow taller?

ReputationRep:
    My knowledge on this subject is sketchy, but I know for example that weight lifting causes release of growth hormone. Therefore, if you do moderate amounts of weight training during your mid teens, will this mean you grow taller?

Yes, but the amount of growth will of course be different for everyone. I like to benchpress about 40 lb 100 times a day, do 100 pushups, 100 situps and 100 5lb on my biceps each day. keeps me fit as a hamster. however, if ur a non exerciser before that u should start with less and work your way up.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the amount of growth will of course be different for everyone. I like to benchpress about 40 lb 100 times a day, do 100 pushups, 100 situps and 100 5lb on my biceps each day. keeps me fit as a hamster. however, if ur a non exerciser before that u should start with less and work your way up.
    LOL if you think that keeps you fit youre having a laugh, sorry..

ReputationRep:
    LOL if you think that keeps you fit youre having a laugh, sorry..
    ach, i mean in shape. I have practically no cardiovascular muscles

ReputationRep:
    ach, i mean in shape. I have practically no cardivascular muscles
    'In shape' makes me laugh even more..

ReputationRep:
    'In shape' makes me laugh even more..

Y? Im intrigued to know why you would find that funny?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.