The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Refesh every 1/1000 of a second lol
Reply 41
Hey,

This works fine despite UCAS's javascript, as it is written in VB.NET 2005 and uses the built in web browser control, which basically just uses IE, so it will be fine.

I've added in sound, a computer sounding voice will say "UCAS Update" how many times you want it to on a change.

The oblig: Use this at your own risk, theres nothing in there that should break anything, especially as it doesn't need administrator privileges (under vista) but I need to cover my ass :wink:

A pic is attached to show you the concept, and the file is as well. Just unzip and run setup.exe. If the .NET framework 2 isn't installed I think MS attempts to download it for you etc. You can uninstall it under the add programs, and can run it from the start menu etc.

Comments welcome :smile: I can always make changes :smile:
Oh and if UCAS or someone decides that they don't like this, then feel free to take it down.

Cheers
thanks.
Reply 43
Quite a good idea, could you post the source as well please?
So I can see how it works and have a tinker.
Reply 44
fonzievision
If anyone has a mac I coded one for the mac that I could share. Refreshes every 3 mins

I've got a mac. Could you upload this please? Thanks :smile:
Reply 45
Hey
Ok here's the source code.
It was written in VB.NET 2005 Express Edition, and I'm relatively new to .NET 2005, so the code may not be as efficient as an expert would write :wink:
I think I've included all the main bits from the project without including unnecessary debug binarys, as they can be generated again.

Cheers
Reply 46
Hey, Sorry seemed to have forgotten a few files in the last one, try this one :smile:
I'll email the mac one to whoever PMs me.
I'm internet savvy but when it comes to programming etc...i'm such a girl! what do i do when i've unzipped the files?
I don't see the point of this. You're hardly going to be staring at the page the whole time. You might aswell click refresh to update it - unless you've got dial-up or something.
Reply 50
Hey when you've unzipped the files run setup.exe to install :smile: make sure you have the compiled files and not the source. If you mean you want to view the source you must have VB.NET 2005 installed and then open the project file.

Suc-Cesc, it was mainly just something I did to pass the time, but thought I'd share it on here for people who want to do other things without constantly watching the web page. It might all be pointless anyway if a "slip up" doesn't happen like last year, but we'll see...
Reply 51
Would it be possible to make on for those of us who were declined from a university (and thus "unsuccessful" already appears in our track, twice in my case) but still have choices (I'm probably in the minority on this forum, I realise :wink:)
Neat idea, I must say. Does it do a 'hard refresh' (i.e. clears the cache)? From the 'clear your cache' warnings on the Track website I don't think UCAS have any sort of cache prevention.
Reply 53
Nightowl, I believe you change the unsuccessful filter to how many you already have.
great idea!, except i dont think refreshing every 2 mins is quick enough for me lol
wesetters
Please, don't do this. The UCaS servers are already overstretched, and programmes like these simply serve to make it worse for everyone else.
It's no worse than doing it yourself. In fact if the program only does it every few minutes it's better.
Reply 56
ok this program opens up a debugger on my comp..something not compatible i guess.

i'll just stick to firefox and autorefresh every 5 mins (would be 30 secs but 5 mins is me being considerate)
The UCAS servers are already overstretched, and programmes like these simply serve to make it worse for everyone else.

Not really. Someone really dedicated could refresh at a much faster rate than this program.
Reply 58
Yeah but the app presumably refreshes even when it's not in focus, which means if the person leaves it running in the background it is constantly accessing UCAS' servers. Why do you need to know the instant you get a new result anyway, isn't there an email notificaton sent and you could just refresh manually? I'm not too bothered, I just wanted to explain to others why some people have an issue with this application :smile:
Reply 59
@Aqfrenzy: It tried to debug on mine - just keep clicking "no" and it should be OK.
Just out of interest, do you have Internet Explorer 7?

Latest

Trending

Trending