Turn on thread page Beta

Might have messed up my GCSE English Language paper. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about this quite alot recently. Basically i took both the language and literature paper back in june. The literature paper i think i did well on but the language i missed out the final question (worth 50% of the paper)

I innocently missed the question as i only realised i had to "turn over the paper" in the last 10 minutes of the exam.. Which means i had no time to attempt it.

The other two questions i think i did quite well on. I picked out lots of language devices & answered them both in great detail i think.

All I'm aiming for is a C overall in language as i want to do A-level Language next year!

My coursework was an overall B. Marked by my teacher and the grades for those: A,A,B,B,B,B,C

So basically my question is do you think i stand a chance of passing? Even though i missed the last question?

ReputationRep:
    Dont beat yourself up about it Just wait till your results come out and if you're not happy with the outcome you can think about re-taking it? Until then spare yourself the worry!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey, don't worry about it; easier said than done but think of the positives. Half the paper went really well and you have a good and very helpful coursework mark which will definitely cushion any possible blow, of course you could still pass. If you're only wanting a grade C in the subject in order to qualify for taking it next year, then I really wouldn't panic; lots of people in my English Language class for AS failed to gain a C despite a policy that students must obtain this to study the subject, it's generally accepted that if you're hard working and mature you're effort will pay off. If the worse comes to the worse then explain the situation to your teacher and I'm sure they'll take this into consideration, after all the school receives more funding per pupil. Pfft, we're just figures haha. If necessary, think about re-sits after results day, otherwise enjoy the summer and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Remember that Coursework also has weight, although it's only a fraction of a percentage of what the exam is worth, it could mean a difference between grades.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else do the AQA Exam board Language paper?! Personally it was a little akward, I thought English was based on text and presentational devices...and the question:

"Explain the Key Points."

How incredibly vague...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yes keypersepctive i had done aqa english language. The paper was aweful, the questions were very vague and it was hard to answer the questions, especially the first one. 'Explain the Key points'. i really think i have mucked up english language. It was the worse paper i have ever done.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Explain the key points is just a technical way of asking you to "analyse" something briefly! Seriously, don't stress over it; I felt the same way this time last year and retrospectively I really didn't do as bad as I had anticipated. Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry. I was very ill in my English Lit exam-had to leave for 10 minutes-and this no doubt affected my paper considerably.

ReputationRep:
    If you answered the other 2 questions well, and your coursework was a B, I think you do have a fair chance in passing.

And if you don't, it's not a testament to your ability because you missed the last question - that could make a difference between grades. So don't worry yourself

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.