Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have both a B in English Language GCSE and band 8.5 in academic IELTS because I need for my student visa anyway. Which one would universities use? Is it ok if I applied to a university that requires an A in English GCSE since my IELTS score is very high? Or would they only look at my GCSE grade?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MA1998)
    Hi,

I have both a B in English Language GCSE and band 8.5 in academic IELTS because I need for my student visa anyway. Which one would universities use? Is it ok if I applied to a university that requires an A in English GCSE since my IELTS score is very high? Or would they only look at my GCSE grade?
    You would need to check with the uni for a definitive answer. However, if they have specified an A at GCSE that's an unusually high requirement, so they're likely to be very fussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You would need to check with the uni for a definitive answer. However, if they have specified an A at GCSE that's an unusually high requirement, so they're likely to be very fussy.

Thank you

I contacted Bristol and East Anglia and they both said that they would not consider the IELTS as a substitute for an English Language GCSE if I have done the GCSE.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I contacted Bristol and East Anglia and they both said that they would not consider the IELTS as a substitute for an English Language GCSE if I have done the GCSE.
    But do they actually ask for an A in GCSE English?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    But do they actually ask for an A in GCSE English?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, for medicine.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for medicine.
    Ah. Well seems strange they don't accept a very good IELTS score over the less good GCSE. But if two different universities are saying the same thing then that's probably that I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Well seems strange they don't accept a very good IELTS score over the less good GCSE. But if two different universities are saying the same thing then that's probably that I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, I will just choose universities that are fine with a B in GCSE English. I don't even know why I thought of applying to Bristol and UEA.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's probably so that people don't keep trying different qualifications until they find a style of question that they can do. Also, English GCSE is already for people who speak English, so the questions can be more analytical and discuss things like metaphors and similes. IELTS is for people who speak other languages, so is more like our Fremch GCSE - more about how to say things and learning vocabulary, like how to go to the post office.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It's probably so that people don't keep trying different qualifications until they find a style of question that they can do. Also, English GCSE is already for people who speak English, so the questions can be more analytical and discuss things like metaphors and similes. IELTS is for people who speak other languages, so is more like our Fremch GCSE - more about how to say things and learning vocabulary, like how to go to the post office.
    Yes but if they hadn't sat the GCSE their IELTS score was more than high enough.

But I get the point of trying multiple types of qualification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    English is my second language; I started learning it in year 9 and sat the GCSE in year 11. So, I can't see why the B is not enough.

If I didn't sit GCSE English, I would probably be accepted because my IELTS score is high...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.