The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trevish
I have 7 months to prepare for my Mocks and around 9 for finals, which consist both AS & A level since I do CIE A level

Oh wow, your mocks are quite close to your finals! Best of luck dude!
Day 91 (Christmas Eve)
I'm really into the swing of things. It feels good to finally be able to focus and scramble on top of my A-levels after all the Oxford mayhem.

So far this christmas
So on the first two days I completed my Computer Science coursework (which is actually due in March). Monday through to today, has been solid Maths/FM Revision with a bit of Physics revision here and there.
How much work do I do?
For those of you who are curious as to how long I work per day to achieve decent grades... I'm not really sure. I get whatever I can done when I'm at my desk but I take frequent breaks. My focus detoriates over time so I kinda take breaks more frequently later in the day.
Maintaining balance
I'm not RELIGIOUS about my studying where I sit at my desk all day... sometimes my mates will be out and I'll just go and join them but at the same time I know I have exams in less than 6 months so I keep that in mind. I also know that working too much is unhealthy, so I tend to keep my evenings free to watch movies or go to the cinemas or hang out with friends. It helps keep me sane I guess xD.
What now?
So now, I'm working to prioritise my Physics a bit more so today I'm learning Thermal Physics. Then I'm going to crunch through exam questions for Thermal Physics and Further Mechanics.
Incoming test
I have a theory test for Computer Science incoming after christmas and that's on all the algorithms and stuff, so my priority will be to revise that and then revise and continue to learn the theory. I approximate it won't actually take me that long to learn the theory judging by how fast I can make notes on this stuff. Learning it is a different matter and doing questions is entirely different.
UCAS
I was informed I received an offer from Imperial. I was terrified because I hadn't heard anything and it was very very very scary and I knew my interview was absolute pants so it was such a relief. Imperial is my first choice so I'm glad I've got an offer. I'm waiting for it to update on Track, I'm just hoping there's no STEP in my offer. I will cry if there is.
Finally!
But yeah.. quick update today. Christmas tomorrow, so I'll probably take most of the day off!
I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!
Original post by Someboady
Self-teaching in itself is difficult. I think the key to Maths/Further Maths is to learn the theory, do a few exercise questions, a few exam questions and then a little later do more of each. :smile: With Physics, I think learning the theory is seriously important before attempting questions! Attempt questions after you've understood everything! Self-teaching requires continuous work because you don't have a teacher to spoon-feed you so keep at it and you've got this!

Thank you for all this, I'll take your advice on board :smile:

Good luck with all your exams :biggrin:
DAY 95 (28/12/16)
I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

New Motivation
I have an offer from Imperial College London.. This is my new motivation but I don't know what the conditions are as they haven't updated my UCAS. However my guess would be A*A*AA with an A in EPQ (or STEP but lets hope no STEP). So I shall be working my butt off through January, February, March, April, May and June.
So far this Christmas
Worked pretty hard so far this Christmas and I've achieved a reasonable amount. Not nearly as hard as I need to be working to achieve A*'s across the board but heyho.
Further Maths
I intend to start learning M3 this final week of Christmas.
I shall be waddling along with my college lessons in FP3 and D1.
Those are my final few modules, everything else is just revision now.
Physics
I have revised: Mechanics and Particles of my AS content. I have learnt Further Mechanics, Thermal Physics and Nuclear Physics.
To revise: Waves, Materials and Electricity (the hardest for me).
I also need to revise Measurements and Errors (a VERY important part of the Physics Syllabus).
I haven't made any notes on the required practicals for Physics yet so that needs to be done within the week.
Computer Science
I am currently revising AS content and A-level Content together so I'm working on all of 1.4. and all of Algorithms basically. I also have a test on my first day back so that's partly my revision for it.
Final To-Do List for the next 7 days:

1. Get comfortable with answering A-level Physics topics
2. Revise Materials
3. Make notes on the required Practicals for Physics this year
4. Make notes on Boolean Algebra
5. Start Learning M3 (at least two chapters this Christmas)
6. Revise Algorithms for Computer Science

As you can see I'm really focussing on Physics for the rest of the holiday as I think I slacked the most in that subject.

Good luck all with your final week of Christmas!
DAY 97 (30/12/16)
Not going to lie, productivity has somewhat decreased. I figured I was spending too much time on Maths and not focusing on Physics and Computer Science. And Because I absolutely hate Physics and Computer Science is hard to memorise...I ended up procrastinating a lot.

But the plan for tomorrow is to make a list of all the Computer Science Algorithms I need to know and memorise first how each of them work and then the actual pseudocode for each and every single one of them. I estimate there's about 10 in the A-level Computer Science Syllabus. I have no idea how its going to work. But it has to.

I will also be practicing some Unit 1 for Physics. It turns out in my AS exam I lost most of my marks at Electricity and by some MIRACLE... quantum phenomenen. I think I must have missed some key points in my answers that made me lose like 1 mark from wordy questions. But yeah I need to work on Unit 1 lots and lots of Unit 1. I also lost a couple marks in the Mechanics section (significant figures and one mark from a wordy question). All of these marks COUNT so I need them!!

EDIT: I originally thought there were 10, there's actually 20...
(edited 7 years ago)
DAY 97 (30/12/16)
Not going to lie, productivity has somewhat decreased. I figured I was spending too much time on Maths and not focusing on Physics and Computer Science. And Because I absolutely hate Physics and Computer Science is hard to memorise...I ended up procrastinating a lot.

But the plan for tomorrow is to make a list of all the Computer Science Algorithms I need to know and memorise first how each of them work and then the actual pseudocode for each and every single one of them. I estimate there's about 10 in the A-level Computer Science Syllabus. I have no idea how its going to work. But it has to.

I will also be practicing some Unit 1 for Physics. It turns out in my AS exam I lost most of my marks at Electricity and by some MIRACLE... quantum phenomenen. I think I must have missed some key points in my answers that made me lose like 1 mark from wordy questions. But yeah I need to work on Unit 1 lots and lots of Unit 1. I also lost a couple marks in the Mechanics section (significant figures and one mark from a wordy question). All of these marks COUNT so I need them!!

Hi, I am currently in my second year of Computer Science AQA. Even though I can remember a lot about the course, I find it hard to study and feel like I barely understand the majority of the course. How are you revising it? and what technique works best to understand and remember all the detail? Thanks
Original post by JPDC99
Hi, I am currently in my second year of Computer Science AQA. Even though I can remember a lot about the course, I find it hard to study and feel like I barely understand the majority of the course. How are you revising it? and what technique works best to understand and remember all the detail? Thanks

Hey, I do OCR CompSci and I'm also in my second year...
I agree! It's really hard to remember things and the past paper technique doesn't exactly work with CompSci. I think I'll go into a bit more detail as to how I revise for Computer Science when I start revising it.
Currently, its not exam period and I'm simply preparing for a test on Algorithms.
With Algorithms its best to understand how they work and then memorise the pseudocode for them. Memorising them involves writing and rewriting it on paper and doing it again without looking at it. This is SO SO SO important. I lost a mark on my AS paper because I didn't memorise my algorithm well enough. And understanding how they work is crucial!
Then its about questions. Try using the old spec papers, maybe try using Decision Maths. That's what I'm trying to do!
Original post by JPDC99

Hey i am also doing AQA Computer science. How has ur coursework been going. I am almost done it came up to roughly around 220 pages lol. We have not started theory at all so i have been self teaching myself it. I find Algorithms very hard. Especially tracing them recursively.
Day 104 (Something went wrong with my track of days! xD but its fixed now)
The Final Day of 2016
2016 has been one of the best years of my life, if not the best. Which is probably in contrast to other people's 2016s.
It's been great it really has.

Further Maths
I'm finishing off 2016 by learning one chapter of M3 (the first chapter which is actually really small and its just differentiation and integration lol) which will leave 4 bigger chapters to cover in my own time. M3 is an optional module for me that I've picked up just in case everything goes wrong in my life and mechanics 3 can save the day.

Plan for M3:
Finish Chapter 1 before end of 2016.
Finish Chapter 2 before End of Christmas
Finish Chapter 4 before January 14th
Finish Chapter 3 by End of January
Finish Chapter 5 by the end of February

Physics
I have recapped everything I know and I am working through the Unit 2 and Unit 1 AQA Physics papers! Early? Yes. But hell I'll do everything to get that A* in Physics

Days left of the holiday: 3
Days left till Oxford's decision: 11
Days left till Imperial's offer: 4
The only things I really have to look forward to lol.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! LETS MAKE 2017 OUR YEAR!
(edited 7 years ago)
DAY 95 (28/12/16)
I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

New Motivation
I have an offer from Imperial College London.. This is my new motivation but I don't know what the conditions are as they haven't updated my UCAS. However my guess would be A*A*AA with an A in EPQ (or STEP but lets hope no STEP). So I shall be working my butt off through January, February, March, April, May and June.
So far this Christmas
Worked pretty hard so far this Christmas and I've achieved a reasonable amount. Not nearly as hard as I need to be working to achieve A*'s across the board but heyho.
Further Maths
I intend to start learning M3 this final week of Christmas.
I shall be waddling along with my college lessons in FP3 and D1.
Those are my final few modules, everything else is just revision now.
Physics
I have revised: Mechanics and Particles of my AS content. I have learnt Further Mechanics, Thermal Physics and Nuclear Physics.
To revise: Waves, Materials and Electricity (the hardest for me).
I also need to revise Measurements and Errors (a VERY important part of the Physics Syllabus).
I haven't made any notes on the required practicals for Physics yet so that needs to be done within the week.
Computer Science
I am currently revising AS content and A-level Content together so I'm working on all of 1.4. and all of Algorithms basically. I also have a test on my first day back so that's partly my revision for it.
Final To-Do List for the next 7 days:

1. Get comfortable with answering A-level Physics topics
2. Revise Materials
3. Make notes on the required Practicals for Physics this year
4. Make notes on Boolean Algebra
5. Start Learning M3 (at least two chapters this Christmas)
6. Revise Algorithms for Computer Science

As you can see I'm really focussing on Physics for the rest of the holiday as I think I slacked the most in that subject.

Good luck all with your final week of Christmas!

Since you mentioned doing D1 alongside FP3,M3,S2 does this mean you're pursueing an AS in Additional Further Maths?

Edit: Although you may think you're not doing enough for your subjects. How is it wise to learn an extra module, M3 regardless of the overlap with further mechanics?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maths is Life
Since you mentioned doing D1 alongside FP3,M3,S2 does this mean you're pursueing an AS in Additional Further Maths?

Edit: Although you may think you're not doing enough for your subjects. How is it wise to learn an extra module, M3 regardless of the overlap with further mechanics?

I was planning on doing AS Additional Further Maths but 4 A-levels is a lot to keep up with already. I'm only doing the A2 Further Maths but I've decided to throw in M3 as well, partly because I have a little time for it and of course there's the overlap with Physics but also because IF I screw up one or two of my modules then I can fall back on M3.
EDIT: M3 is entirely optional so maybe I'd be better off focusing just on FP2, FP3, M2 and S2
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't say exactly but I'd approximate about 4 to 5 hours... maybe more
I can't say exactly but I'd approximate about 4 to 5 hours... maybe more

Can you make a post on how exactly you revise for physics? I really want that A* xD. Do you make your own notes? If so how do they differ from the revision guides? (The revision guides have the info and more haha). Also experiments how do you them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 108 (03/01/2017)
6 months left of hard work and dedication.

I shall be returning to college tomorrow, which I'm somewhat excited for because it gets boring revising alone at home Lol.

UCAS
I just got my offer from Imperial College London. They want: A* (Maths), A, A, A (Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science) and an A in my EPQ. It's really hard but not as hard as other people's offers.. which is weird because I thought my interview went terribly but I didn't get STEP which is freaking amazing!
I have a goal people! I have a goal! Now I need to MEET this offer so I'll be working my butt off for the next 6 months!
I hear back from Oxford next week (it doesn't look good)...

Mock Exams/Tests
I have mock exams (basically classroom tests) for FP1, FP2, S2 and M2 as well as Physics and Computer Science so I'm preparing for them.

My Physics mock before Christmas came through and I got an A... without revising even a single bit. Not exaggerating, I was at my Oxford Interviews and I thought I'd gotten through to Christmas without having to do the mock and then my Physics teacher told me to do it after school and I tried to get away but she got the college to contact me before I left. Anywho, I did it and I got an A and I am at a loss as to how.

Personal Targets
Maths/Further Maths
FP3 to be completed by the end of February
D1 to be completed by the end of March
Revise all other modules through past papers inc. C4
Physics
Past papers for Unit 1 and Unit 2 through from now till June
As soon as we finish Electric Fields, Capacitance, Magnetic Fields I want to crunch out Unit 4 papers.
As soon as we finish AstroPhysics I want to crunch out Unit 5 Papers.
Computer Science
Revise 1.1 and make notes on remaining topics of 1.2.
I'll get a bit more in-depth in this later but basically:
I need to mix and match the different topics from the old spec and the new spec to try and formulate questions that I can do

Anyways,
Good luck back at College, the next holiday isn't till mid-February so keep grinding!
(edited 7 years ago)
WHAT how do you still get an A in physics after not revising?? :lol:
Please teach me your ways...
Day 110 (05/01/17)
Currently I am working on FP3, I figured I'd get a head start as I'm sick of revising for Mock Exams Lol!
I've finished Chapter 1 and I've almost finished Chapter 2 (I say almost - about 3/4 bits left) AND I'm expecting to finish Chapter 3 soon enough too as it looks quite small.
So technically, I'll have finished the first 3 chapters... about 3 weeks before we start them in College.
But what's great is that my Further Maths teacher is going to start with the harder chapters (Vectors and Matrices).
I'll have to learn the fourth chapter by myself too though and that's integration and I hate integration Lol.
But yeah I expect I'll be finished by the end of February at the latest!

However I also have homework (3 chapter exercises) to hand in as I missed most of my lessons just before Christmas.. so that needs to be done in the next hour... before I decide to sit down and relax with a book.
Day 110 (05/01/17)
Currently I am working on FP3, I figured I'd get a head start as I'm sick of revising for Mock Exams Lol!
I've finished Chapter 1 and I've almost finished Chapter 2 (I say almost - about 3/4 bits left) AND I'm expecting to finish Chapter 3 soon enough too as it looks quite small.
So technically, I'll have finished the first 3 chapters... about 3 weeks before we start them in College.
But what's great is that my Further Maths teacher is going to start with the harder chapters (Vectors and Matrices).
I'll have to learn the fourth chapter by myself too though and that's integration and I hate integration Lol.
But yeah I expect I'll be finished by the end of February at the latest!

However I also have homework (3 chapter exercises) to hand in as I missed most of my lessons just before Christmas.. so that needs to be done in the next hour... before I decide to sit down and relax with a book.

Keep going bro
Original post by mahmzo
Can you make a post on how exactly you revise for physics? I really want that A* xD. Do you make your own notes? If so how do they differ from the revision guides? (The revision guides have the info and more haha). Also experiments how do you them?

I'll make a post for this on the weekend! :smile:
Thanks!
I play football once a week and badminton about once every couple weeks. I tend to read quite a bit but I like to leave my evenings free to watch a good movie or I'll go out with some friends and chill somewhere. Really anything to help take my mind off of work! What do you do in your free time?
Thanks!
I play football once a week and badminton about once every couple weeks. I tend to read quite a bit but I like to leave my evenings free to watch a good movie or I'll go out with some friends and chill somewhere. Really anything to help take my mind off of work! What do you do in your free time?

What team do you support

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending