Masters degree in a top university

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I've never posted on this website but I like to use it every now and then because people tend to get their questions answered quite quickly. So here's my question....

I am currently studying History and Politics at University of Westminster. I am about to start second year and I am currently heading towards a first class degree. I know that Westminster is usually seen as a rather mediocre university which is why my plan is to get the best possible grade that I can in order to apply for either a masters or an MBA in a much higher ranked university, perhaps not even in the UK. So my question is, do any of you know of anyone that studied undergraduate at Westminster and then went on to pursue a masters degree in say Cambridge or LSE? Will a first class degree from a mediocre university be enough for me to be accepted into one of the top universities for a masters degree or an MBA?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people go from a 'lower' to a 'higher' uni. Rankings have little relevance at postgraduate level (unless perhaps for law or some finance courses). As long as you meet the entry requirements you'll have just as much chance as any other applicant.

Ignore the MBA for now, accredited courses require at least three years of relevant work experience. If you really want to do a management course look for MSc/MiM Management.

Concentrate on your current course for now, try and get an internship/work experience and see how things look in a year or so before deciding what you want to apply for after that. Good luck!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.