No energy- health question!

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    So for the last two years I have been going twice a week to the gym, I usually do around 2-3 hours and go hard at it. Also, for the last two years I have been on a restricted diet of around 1500 cals a day ( usual day: cereal with semi skimmed milk and frozen fruit, if hungry a piece of fruit, if I'm not a school or now college I don't have dinner but if at college I how a bowl of veg and fruit then for tea a stir fry awithout any sauce and a potato and fruit for snack after.) also I may include- 8 never have a treat, I am very strick! I am a 16year old female who when last checked (last Tuesday) my B.M.I is rated perfect- I am so addicted to a healthy lifestyle due to being so unhealthy/fat in previous years loosing 4stone. Yet, recently, when at the gym I loose most of my energy and I feel like I cannot carry on, I always fall to sleep early at night on the sofa usually!! I wasn't just wondering, why I have such a lack in energy ? Thanks. xx

ReputationRep:
    you look like you've answered your own question - you're eating 1500 cals a day and skipping meals while exercising hard - you're undernourished and will probably feel much better eating 2000+ calories a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatsSoAmy)
    Hey guys,
    So for the last two years I have been going twice a week to the gym, I usually do around 2-3 hours and go hard at it. Also, for the last two years I have been on a restricted diet of around 1500 cals a day ( usual day: cereal with semi skimmed milk and frozen fruit, if hungry a piece of fruit, if I'm not a school or now college I don't have dinner but if at college I how a bowl of veg and fruit then for tea a stir fry awithout any sauce and a potato and fruit for snack after.) also I may include- 8 never have a treat, I am very strick! I am a 16year old female who when last checked (last Tuesday) my B.M.I is rated perfect- I am so addicted to a healthy lifestyle due to being so unhealthy/fat in previous years loosing 4stone. Yet, recently, when at the gym I loose most of my energy and I feel like I cannot carry on, I always fall to sleep early at night on the sofa usually!! I wasn't just wondering, why I have such a lack in energy ? Thanks. xx
    You need to eat more. BMI isn't everything but you need to eat enough to maintain your weight not keep losing more. It would be worth going to see your GP too though just in case you're anaemic or something, especially if you used to be able to do the same exercise etc on the same calories. If you've just started college that's probably affecting it a bit too.

Edit: Going to move this over to health for you too, forgot to mention that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    You need to eat more. BMI isn't everything but you need to eat enough to maintain your weight not keep losing more. It would be worth going to see your GP too though just in case you're anaemic or something, especially if you used to be able to do the same exercise etc on the same calories. If you've just started college that's probably affecting it a bit too.

Edit: Going to move this over to health for you too, forgot to mention that
    Okay thank you, I don't know if eating more is really an option for me though a short I am heavly addicted to this healthy lifestyle and whenever I have a bite of unhealthy food I feel so guilty& upset and extremely annoyed with myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    you look like you've answered your own question - you're eating 1500 cals a day and skipping meals while exercising hard - you're undernourished and will probably feel much better eating 2000+ calories a day
    Thank you so much for you help, however eating more caliores is very hard for me as eating a bite full of unhealthy food makes me upset and feel fat :-(!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could increase the size of your food portions?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for you help, however eating more caliores is very hard for me as eating a bite full of unhealthy food makes me upset and feel fat :-(!
    well you can eat more healthy calories to start with

you're showing a lot of signs that you're in the beginning of an eating disorder right now... usually when you eat more and are better nourished it becomes easier to break some 'food rules' and eat more flexibly but you should work proactively on challenging your fears

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you, I don't know if eating more is really an option for me though a short I am heavly addicted to this healthy lifestyle and whenever I have a bite of unhealthy food I feel so guilty& upset and extremely annoyed with myself!
    Sorry missed this! As someone else has said you could try gradually increasing portion sizes as that would help, you could also explore new foods a bit as well just to try and get some more variation in your diet. Hopefully doing things bit by bit will be a bit easier for you and you shouldn't see any changes very fast which I think is what you want. I do agree with doodle though, it'd still be worth seeing your GP as it could be you're starting to show signs of an eating disorder and these are definitely better treated sooner rather than later if you can.

ReputationRep:

No one is saying you have to eat more unhealthy food.
    Eat the same healthy foods you are eating now- but include greater quantities and varieties of protein, and some more veg, and longer lasting, slow burning carbs.

It's a bit daft saying that you're committed to this 'healthy' diet/lifestyle, which is completely self-contradictory- healthy people don't feel tired and undernourished the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazzyzebra)
    No one is saying you have to eat more unhealthy food.
    Eat the same healthy foods you are eating now- but include greater quantities and varieties of protein, and some more veg, and longer lasting, slow burning carbs.

It's a bit daft saying that you're committed to this 'healthy' diet/lifestyle, which is completely self-contradictory- healthy people don't feel tired and undernourished the whole time.
    Thanks for your comment, I don't want to make out im some sad teenagers desperate for somebody to tell me to eat more- but I honesty cannot eat anymore! I eat large portions of mainly fruit/veg on my meals ( a daily tea time meal would usually be a stir fry without soy sauce or any sauces and a jacket potato(sweet pot) and then occasionally I'll have prawns. I mean, that's a good meal! I've been like this for two years now, limiting myself to 1500 cals it's not like a new thing.

ReputationRep:
    what is your height and weight, if you don't mind me asking? are you sure you're not underweight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    well you can eat more healthy calories to start with

you're showing a lot of signs that you're in the beginning of an eating disorder right now... usually when you eat more and are better nourished it becomes easier to break some 'food rules' and eat more flexibly but you should work proactively on challenging your fears
    Hello sorry for the late reply, I've been like this for two years now limiting myself to 1500cals a day and twice a week hard excercise- it's nothing new:/! It's so hard for me to break these rules, I feel I upset with myself If i eat too much. At the beginning of this, I was very strict with what I ate and if I so much had a slither of 10 cals more I would hate myself. But now, it just comes natural and I'm not starving, my body is used to not eating more that 1500 cals. It's just recently, I've felt very tired during exercise& sometimes I feel like crying when I hate 30 mins left at the gym but I know I have to finish my workout, or I know I will regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Sorry missed this! As someone else has said you could try gradually increasing portion sizes as that would help, you could also explore new foods a bit as well just to try and get some more variation in your diet. Hopefully doing things bit by bit will be a bit easier for you and you shouldn't see any changes very fast which I think is what you want. I do agree with doodle though, it'd still be worth seeing your GP as it could be you're starting to show signs of an eating disorder and these are definitely better treated sooner rather than later if you can.
    Hey sorry for the late reply, my portions are very big. I have a plate full of veg basically! And then a bowl full of fruit! I believe that you should have bigger portions of healthy food, as it will fill you and not make you snack and is good for you! I dont think I have a disorder, as I've been like this for 2 years now and I haven't become horrifically skinny or whatever. I'm just obsessed with the healthy lifestyle low caliore wise. Thank you for your suggestion of trying new things though, will keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hello sorry for the late reply, I've been like this for two years now limiting myself to 1500cals a day and twice a week hard excercise- it's nothing new:/! It's so hard for me to break these rules, I feel I upset with myself If i eat too much. At the beginning of this, I was very strict with what I ate and if I so much had a slither of 10 cals more I would hate myself. But now, it just comes natural and I'm not starving, my body is used to not eating more that 1500 cals. It's just recently, I've felt very tired during exercise& sometimes I feel like crying when I hate 30 mins left at the gym but I know I have to finish my workout, or I know I will regret it.
    it's not strange that over time this gets harder and harder on your body... you've used up every reserve you have and now anytime things get a bit tougher on your body it has nowhere to go...

as I said, the fact it's so hard for you to eat any more or anything different in indicative of disordered eating and that is something you really need to work on changing

also stop calling this 'obsessed with a healthy living lifestyle' - it is not healthy to have disordered eating and it is not healthy to undereat

ReputationRep:
    Some research suggest some humans are biologically evolved to eat lots of small, healthier meals (snacks) throughout the day. Have you ever considered carrying a banana or some walnuts and almonds and an apple that you can nibble on intermittently throughout the day to fight off hunger?
    Id introduce some white meat into your diet at least once or twice a week, and white fish too.

ReputationRep:
    You may be anaemic?..... Esp if your periods are heavy
    Also you are needing to eat a more balanced diet and introduce iron rich foods and protein

You are on the verge of giving yourself an eating disorder because you fail to appreciate the correct balance of nutrition and exercise. People can be healthy and maintain the correct weight.

If you calories are in balance. You should be eating c half your exercise calories back if losing weight and most of them if maintaining, then it could be the fact you should be eating some carbs pre exercise or you could be overtraining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotsgirl64)
    You may be anaemic?..... Esp if your periods are heavy
    Also you are needing to eat a more balanced diet and introduce iron rich foods and protein
    I don't think im anaemic, as I hardly ever have a period. I've been to the hospital about the lack of them, and they just blame stress but also touched up on my diet. And ok thank you I will try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snazzyzebra)
    Some research suggest some humans are biologically evolved to eat lots of small, healthier meals (snacks) throughout the day. Have you ever considered carrying a banana or some walnuts and almonds and an apple that you can nibble on intermittently throughout the day to fight off hunger?
    Id introduce some white meat into your diet at least once or twice a week, and white fish too.
    Okay thank you :-)!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.