Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • Thread Starter

    I am going to apply for university this year and I don't know what course I want to do. I am really stuck between diagnostic and therapeutic radiography. I tried to get work experiences in radiology department but I can't find places. I know the differences between the two courses but I don't know which course is better. please help me!

    I don't think its really a case of which course is better (unless you are comparing the same course at different universities). These are different courses, and as you say you already know the difference you must have done a bit of research into what the different roles entail. This I think is more of a personal decision based on what you are looking for in your future career, and which of these types of radiography you will enjoy. Work experience may be key in making this decision.

    I'm not sure you are still at school/college or a mature student, but if you are at school they should have someone that can help you to arrange some appropriate work experience.

    If you need to do this yourself, start by looking on the website for you local NHS trust. They often have a work experience coordinator that you can apply through to get a few days placement.

    As a student diagnostic Radiographer, I can say that being in the diagnostic side - its a lot more fast paced than therapeutic.
    For therapeutic it's a much harder course. At my Uni they only take on around 20 students, with just over half of them getting a degree. In Diagnostic, somewhere up to 50 places, and i'm in fourth year with only about 8 fellow students dropping out/failing.
    Jobs wise, its much easier to get jobs = fast paced, more workload etc etc.
    Generally, X-ray departments can't do placements due to patient confidenciality/radiation.
    Contact the X-ray department directly & ask for the student liason officer/equivalent - they usually have days where they have potential new students and give them a tour/feel of the department
    feel free to ask anything if you need help!
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.