Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really say there was any engineering involved in building comptuers, but I guess when I was 12/13 I was a really geek and was constantly reading up on the latest 486 or how the Pentium was reached amazing speeds of 100Mhz so by the time it came for to physicaly put it together it was easy.

Pig - What kind fo skills can;t be taught then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    How does "knowing what this word means" account towards intelligence? If you came across it, you know what it means, if not, you don't. Simple. It's not about intelligence.

And don't call me stupid please, thats the sort of thing ******s say, but don't take it as a personal criticism.
    I didn't call you stupid, so it can't be a personal criticism against me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade Into Black)
    Thats the problem 'pushy parents' seem to have differed effects on people when their growing. Some adapt quite well others struggle with the mountain of pressure. I to feel weary under pressure...
    Are you sure the top 2%?? I always thought that the result would be much. I assume that if it was a reflection on college graduates then an IQ of 110-140 would be common and therefore your 2% wouldnt be applicable as the average IQ would be far higher...
    Cambridge is an acheivement at any age...
    we you some sort of child prodigy or something???
    My daddy used to get me to memorise large chunks of Shakespeare and stuff like that during holidays when he was off in London at work. He'd get home in a bad at about 8 or 9 due to delayed/cancelled trains and give me a really hard time if I couldn't recite the stuff. Thus, I can now recite poetry in various languages, so what? What good has that done me in my career as a postman before I went back to college?

One day he left me, I was about 9, with a metre rule, a set of sine tables and a protractor. He told me to be able to tell him the height of a lamp post when he got back. Might have helped if he'd explained basic trig to me BEFORE setting the task!

Overall, no, I was not anything special... Just a bit bright and pushed further than I should have been.

ReputationRep:
    Are IQ tests on-line different??Why is that?
    What is the IQ of a genius?? I've heard so many different opinions so I'd like to find out a rough estimate from as many of you as possible.
    Also if you know your own IQ please display it...
    thanx...
    General Chat alll the waaaay.

ReputationRep:
    Are IQ tests on-line different??Why is that?
    What is the IQ of a genius?? I've heard so many different opinions so I'd like to find out a rough estimate from as many of you as possible.
    Also if you know your own IQ please display it...
    thanx...
    There are tons of different scales. For example Einstein got 133 so that would mean he couldn't get into Mensa. Some scales only go upto 150 where as others go a lot higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    An IQ of 130 means you are in the top 2% of the population...at IQ tests.

I don't think they're a very accurate reflection of intelligence - it only tests one part of it.
    Too true - according to the scale I did it on (in which Einstein is 133) I got results ranging from 130 to 140. This would mean that on average I was more intelligent than Einstein. :eek: This shows how far you can trust them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Too true - according to the scale I did it on (in which Einstein is 133) I got results ranging from 130 to 140. This would mean that on average I was more intelligent than Einstein. :eek: This shows how far you can trust them.
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    148 on Cattell B is top 2% by Mensa standards and this is the score needed to join. 155 is top 1%.

On Culture Fair its 130 something for admission.
    There are also loads more, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    There is no reason why you can't be more intelligent than Einstein! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I.Q... A quotient of intelligence that is determined by measuring powers of deduction (i.e. how well you can relate facts with facts). It is a particularly crude and presumptuous estimation of intelligence and rather too mathematical in my opinion. Especially as you could use similar logic-based tests to ascertain the relative 'intelligence' of mice and other small animals.
    Maybe the test should be renamed more accurately to L.Q.- logic quotient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucid87)
    I.Q... A quotient of intelligence that is determined by measuring powers of deduction (i.e. how well you can relate facts with facts). It is a particularly crude and presumptuous estimation of intelligence and rather too mathematical in my opinion. Especially as you could use similar logic-based tests to ascertain the relative 'intelligence' of mice and other small animals.
    Maybe the test should be renamed more accurately to L.Q.- logic quotient.
    For a logic test I think paper 1 (logic) of the BMAT is quite good. I agree, with practice one could improve, but it's bloody hard! I got 6.3 on it (top 5% of people taking it). It's not all that fair because only Oxbridge Medical&vet candidates take it, implying they are probably slightly brighter than most. If everyone took a longer version, I think that would be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    is this thread still here?
    oh you are awful but i do like you (can't actually remember where that's from)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    youre welcome to start a fan club, although you may get lonely.

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair and George Bush? Just a thought... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    argh the thing i quoted has gone!!! vienna is playing games with my poor little mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Tony Blair and George Bush? Just a thought... :rolleyes:
    surprisingly amusing.

ReputationRep:
    youre welcome to start a fan club, although you may get lonely.
    i'm sure you could come and keep me company....

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure you could come and warm me up....
    im sure u would have your 'perks'.

ReputationRep:
    surprisingly amusing.
    Must mean I have a high IQ :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Must mean I have a high IQ :rolleyes:
    steady on.

ReputationRep:
    steady on.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.