Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think IQ tests are pathetic? I've done them before and have scored well on them! But they seem to be just the basis for people to compare themselves to one another and to try and boats about their IQ. To be frank I don't think that it matters about your IQ and that many people become compacent and don't achieve their potential.
    My point can be proven from the mensa booklet that they send you where it tells you one of the perks is a credit card with 'Mensa' written on it...........how pathetic! Do members who have these cars just get them to inflate their own ego.......I think the answer is YES!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I always thought IQ tests were a waste of time. Last time I checked I was 147 but that was a couple of years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Too true - according to the scale I did it on (in which Einstein is 133) I got results ranging from 130 to 140. This would mean that on average I was more intelligent than Einstein. :eek:
    you just proved that IQ tests are absolute ********, unless you can come up with a new version of the general theory of relativity yourself

ReputationRep:
    My tested IQ is supposedly 156 but it keeps changing...I was 97 once, must have been an off day. :rolleyes: The tests are so daft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Don't you think IQ tests are pathetic? I've done them before and have scored well on them! But they seem to be just the basis for people to compare themselves to one another and to try and boats about their IQ. To be frank I don't think that it matters about your IQ and that many people become compacent and don't achieve their potential.
    My point can be proven from the mensa booklet that they send you where it tells you one of the perks is a credit card with 'Mensa' written on it...........how pathetic! Do members who have these cars just get them to inflate their own ego.......I think the answer is YES!
    What is meant to be the reason for joining Mensa then other than this credit card business.

(Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    you just proved that IQ tests are absolute ********, unless you can come up with a new version of the general theory of relativity yourself
    Can't do that I'm afraid though I do understand the theory (which may be on the verge of being disproven by faster than light speed particals).

ReputationRep:
    any good sites for online iq tests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [_Z_])
    any good sites for online iq tests?
    Try http://web.tickle.com/tests/uiq/auth.../uiq/index.jsp

ReputationRep:
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    i have got 145 and 139 in 2 diff tests, so i would say the one which gave me 145 was more accurate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade Into Black)
    Are IQ tests on-line different??
    I have been told that online IQ tests are not professional, so the best way to get a ballpark figure of your IQ (brain processing power) is to get tested by a real psychologist.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Did test when I was 13, I think, and got 157... I have no common sense though and don't think much of the IQ system as it discriminates against people who don't have English as a first language, people without much formal education, etc...
    IQ tests can be given to people in their own language, so they are not culturally biased towards Europeans. In fact, East Asians generally score a few points higher than Europeans on the tests.

The American Psychological Association (http://www.apa.org/) had concluded that IQ tests are not culturally biased.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    I got 111 on the tv test and consider that a fair iq test.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else here actually in mensa?

(i havn't bothered to read all the posts, i'm quite tired really)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)

Here is the MENSA Usenet group if you want to meet some real MENSANS: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...=rec.org.mensa

Regards.

ReputationRep:

Me and I think there must be more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    IQ's don't test intelligence, they test how good you are at taking IQ tests.
    From http://www.mugu.com/cgi-bin/Upstream...ell-curve.html

"The Meaning and Measurement of Intelligence

1. Intelligence is a very general mental capability that, among other
    things, involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think
    abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly and learn from
    experience. It is not merely book learning, a narrow academic skill, or
    test-taking smarts. Rather, it reflects a broader and deeper capability
    for comprehending our surroundings--"catching on," "making sense" of
    things, or "figuring out" what to do.

2. Intelligence, so defined, can be measured, and intelligence tests
    measure it well. They are among the most accurate (in technical terms,
    reliable and valid) of all psychological tests and assessments. They do
    not measure creativity, character personality, or other important
    differences among individuals, nor are they intended to.

3. While there are different types of intelligence tests, they all measure
    the same intelligence. Some use words or numbers and require specific
    cultural knowledge (like vocabulary). Others do not, and instead use
    shapes or designs and require knowledge of only simple, universal
    concepts (many/few, open/closed, up/down).

[ . . . ]

5. Intelligence tests are not culturally biased against American blacks or
    other native-born, English-speaking peoples in the U.S. Rather, IQ
    scores predict equally accurately for all such Americans, regardless of
    race and social class. Individuals who do not understand English well
    can be given either a nonverbal test or one in their native language.

[ . . . ]

9. IQ is strongly related, probably more so than any other single
    measurable human trait, to many important educational, occupational,
    economic, and social outcomes. Its relation to the welfare and
    performance of individuals is very strong in some arenas in life
    (education, military training), moderate but robust in others (social
    competence), and modest but consistent in others (law-abidingness).
    Whatever IQ tests measure, it is of great practical and social
    importance.

10. A high IQ is an advantage in life because virtually all activities
    require some reasoning and decision-making. Conversely, a low IQ is
    often a disadvantage, especially in disorganized environments. Of
    course, a high IQ no more guarantees success than a low IQ guarantees
    failure in life. There are many exceptions, but the odds for success in
    our society greatly favor individuals with higher IQs.

11. The practical advantages of having a higher IQ increase as life
    settings become more complex (novel, ambiguous, changing,
    unpredictable, or multifaceted). For example, a high IQ is generally
    necessary to perform well in highly complex or fluid jobs (the
    professions, management): it is a considerable advantage in moderately
    complex jobs (crafts, clerical and police work); but it provides less
    advantage in settings that require only routine decision making or
    simple problem solving (unskilled work)."

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Yes yes.

So how could we measure 'true' intelligence anyway, as most of what we perceive to be intelligence is based on knowledge anyway? I don't rate those spatial awareness/pattern matching type things, I think they only test a certain part of intelligence, and are also not purely intuitive, meaning prior knowledge is necessary. Surely only something of a type people haven't seen before would be a true test, so as prior knowledge would not be a factor and only intuition and reasoning would play a part. But then, isn't reasoning also taught?
    From http://psych.utoronto.ca/~reingold/c...8gottfred.html

"Moreover, research on the physiology and genetics of g has uncovered biological correlates of this psychological phenomenon. In the past decade, studies by teams of researchers in North America and Europe have linked several attributes of the brain to general intelligence. After taking into account gender and physical stature, brain size as determined by magnetic resonance imaging is moderately correlated with IQ (about 0.4 on a scale of 0 to 1). So is the speed of nerve conduction. The brains of bright people also use less energy during problem solving than do those of their less able peers. And various qualities of brain waves correlate strongly (about 0.5 to 0.7) with IQ: the brain waves of individuals with higher IQs, for example, respond more promptly and consistently to simple sensory stimuli such as audible clicks. These observations have led some investigators to posit that differences in g result from differences in the speed and efficiency of neural processing."

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    Me and I think there must be more...
    yeah i'm guessing there are quite a few of us, or at least people worthy enough to join us, lurking around here

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm guessing there are quite a few of us, or at least people worthy enough to join us, lurking around here
    im sure I read a thread on this a few months ago where at least one person said they qualified to join but didn't. Might be totally inventing that though as I am wont to do at times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaac Newton)
    I have been told that online IQ tests are not professional, so the best way to get a ballpark figure of your IQ (brain processing power) is to get tested by a real psychologist.

Regards.
    and this comes from someone who calls him self "Isaac Newton" ? :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.