Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linka1)
    Wow - seriously? I can cruise happily (so can my engine) in 5th going 30.
    I'm sure I can too, I've never tried. It's just that 30mph in my car is perfect in 3rd gear as to stop me just flooring it and reaching 70mph in the residentials...

I only ever look at the speedometer when near a speed camera, otherwise I just use my ears.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't you be in the highest gear possible so the car goes more smoothely and less fuel consumption??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzy)
    Shouldn't you be in the highest gear possible so the car goes more smoothely and less fuel consumption??
    Depends, wouldn't use 5th at 30 in my car at all but could use 4th IF it's an open 30, if you can see really well and there's no reason that you might need some pull to avoid anything or to accelerate at any speed although obviously this varies from car to car, better/bigger engines can pull in 4th, my 3 pot 1 L (see the pictures of your car thread) won't.
    As mentioned in the AD thread in open clear zones, yeah 4th is good, it uses less fuel, but if I need some manoeuvrability I'll be in 3rd or if I need to really pull away I'll be in 2nd at the top end of my rev range.

Or do a Jay from Dogma, leave it in first and hear that engine SCREAM!!!!! (Not recommened unless you like destroying engines and hey, who doesn't?)

ReputationRep:
    Just glance at the speedo. Isn't rocket science. I always stick to the limit in a 30. It's just common sense.

Now 70 on motorways is too slow for modern cars IMO, so I don't agree with that. But 30's yes.

ReputationRep:
    Pull up the handbrake hard and hope you don't drift off a cliff.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it in a gear appropriate to your speed, ie. 3rd. If you HAVE to keep it in 2nd and only do 27Mph just to make sure. I found the temptation for this too, just ease off the accelerator and improve your management of it as you go down hills etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 10, 2007
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.